1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many bought a pioneer 747 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JSW, Apr 5, 2002.

1. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Any probs to report yet ?

I'm about to get one

tks

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Why not get a Sony SACD player to match the rest of your kit, better quality and it looks like the rest of your Sony kit? 770 / 670? Saveyourself a pot of cash for those discs.

3. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    In hi fi choice it performs just as well as the sony

4. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my Philips 962SA.

Better performance on CD than DV-747A.

Better on SACD than DV-747A (in the same league with SAC 1000!)

Much better on PAL progressive as it has Faroudja DCDi chipset.

Costs c. half of what the DV-747A does.

The minuses on Philips: no mp3 or dvd-a playback. I personally won't miss them.

The euro version of Philips 962SA can NOT be made PAL Progressive as it doesn't have the Faroudja chipset.

The Asian version can be made and is already sold readily region free and pal prog (www.hivizone.com).

Guess where that Asian version is made? Yep. Europe :)

cheers,
    Halcyon

5. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    This sounds interesting - I've been thinking about the Pioneer 747 (which I felt a little expensive for me) then Toshiba500E was waving beckoningly at me and is at a more immediate price..haven't heard any convincing reports on the quality of the music repro which is equally important to me so I've been wavering..but this Philips sounds pretty cool..a few quick questions:
    On top of shipping would I have import duty etc.. to pay..£458 sounds great for ntsc & pal progressive - anyone have any experience or read anything about the Pal (especially) & ntsc performance with an lcd projector...?

Any more info on this player welcome...

Cheers

Berth

:)

6. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    just done a little more homework I think I was coverting US dollars..the asian thing didn't click the first time I read ..so will this play on most tv's or will the tv have to be able to accept a pure ntsc signal or am I being a dummass..so with this player being a bit more expensive than I originally thought is it REALLY worth getting it for PAL prog? About 30% of my dvds are R2 so I may be going the extra mile for minimal reward...whatdyareckon?

berth:confused:

7. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    also bear in mind it is alot of money to pay out for a player to be shipped from the far east & you might have customs to pay on top, & if it goes wrong you will have to send it back for a warranty repair and again more cost.

worth thinking about.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    You haven't heard them then.;) If they perform the same I will eat my hat. The pure Sony SACD players are far from perfect but they are certainly better than these 'combi' players.

Listen for yourself.

Your 735 is a good player, I think you will be lucky to much for second hand

9. bretts

bretts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have heard the 747 - a lot :)
    (as well as the Sony).

I'm must say I'm extremely happy with my 747. It's the first CD/DVD player I've had that lets me play something CD shaped the same day as vinyl (on a Linn LP12) without beeing bored to death. SACD/DVD audio is exceptional; even CD:s are good. And video looks great.

I'm using an Arcam AVR200 as a preamp to Genelec 1030s, btw. Sound's great: I can really recommend this setup.

/brett

10. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Berth,

I have a not-so-new Sony 29" 3:4 tv and it eats the NTSC signal my Philips 952SA sends out via S-video perfectly.

I also confirmed that PAL & NTSC progressive both work through the Y/Cb/Cr component outputs if you have projector (or television like a Loewe Aconda) that can input it. I tested this on a friend's Seleco CRT-projector.

Whether getting a PAL prog player is worth it, well there are some questions you need to ask yourself:

- do you have a PAL progressive input capable display device now or in the near future?

- do you have a lot of R2/R4 discs or want to buy more of them and enjoy in their full glory?

- are you willing to pay a little extra to get a *RELIABLE* PAL prog player (most of the cheap ones are not reliable)?

- are you willing to take the risk of ordering from abroad (if something happens to your players, it's a bigger hassle always)?

If you answered four times resoundingly "yes", then it's time for you to consider a good PAL proge player.

I wouldn't recommend the Pioneer DV-747A as it has problems with de-interlacing and now some people are reporting that the PAL progressive hack messes up the component output and the player starts to skip frames (just like the Denon DVD-2800 did after it was PAL progressive hacked with the proper firmware):

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...&group=uk.media.home-cinema&safe=off&start=25

I don't have long history with my Philips 962SA yet so I can't say it'll be 100% workin (nothing always is :), but currently it performs better than Denon DVD-2800 or Pioneer DV-747A on PAL progressive and on any challenging dvd material.

cheers,
    Halcyon

11. sanjay

sanjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought DV-747 Multiregion model.

It has superb picture & sound playback. I bought it on the net.
    E-mail me and I'll let you know where to buy it.

12. bewty

bewty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a 747 and am very impressed all round with it, however it does make a strange buzzing sound when its turned on/off! IT sounds as if a conection is shorting for a few seconds, is this normal? I also expected dvd audio and sacd multichannel to output more sound from the rear speakers, is this also normal

13. Steve

Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my player for about 3-4 weeks now and I must say I am very happy with it. My old player was the Pioneer DVL909 which was a fantastic player in it's time. I would say that the new 747A is far better than my old player. The Picture I feel is excellent and the surround sound is far better balanced and separated than my old player ever was. I have been quite impressed with the SACD side of things but in all honesty I haven't compared the SACD against much else. I have a completely separate HIFI for listening to music so it really isn't a major issue for me on how this player performs as a CD player. However a friend of mine has just bought the 747 after being disappointed with the problems he was getting with his Denon 2800 and has been also very happy with change of player. He does use it as a CD player as well and said it is very good maybe not as good as the Denon on the CD side of things but still a very good sound.

I bought mine through Sevenoaks hifi which surprised me as i thought I would always by online and save £100. But I decided that it was worth it as I could take the player back after 10 days for a full refund if I wasn't happy with the product. A two year warranty on the player including the Multiregion changes to the player. And they had one in stock the day I went to look at it.

Overall I am Very Happy and I haven’t stopped watching all my films over again.
    :)

14. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had my Pioneer 747A for 6 weeks now. Its an amazing player. Picture, Sound, Compatibility are all supremely excellent. My only complaint is i don't have enough time to watch anything on it :(

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 747 for around three weeks now. Mine does PAL progressive with no problems whatsoever.
    I dont use mine for Video (480p is just not enough for my Barco 808s) but mainly for music playback on DVD-A and SACD and CD.

As an installer, I've just started using these in my current installs where I'm finding clients to be over the moon with them. Most of what they throw in can be played by this machine so I dont get "Hello Eric, theres something wrong with my player. It wont play this new disc that I've bought"
    A Brilliant no fuss solution.

Eric

16. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Halcion - Thanks for the feedback..I've done a bit more research (as you do) and have finally decided that the Toshiba 500E is the lad for me..it's the right price, has the right features (for me) & has had the majority of favourable reviews and lets face it I'm upgrading from a rather tired Wharfedale 750 so anything is anything's going to be a plus ....isn't it??;)

all the best

Berth

17. bewty

bewty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Uncle Eric...How did you get your 747 to do pal progressive and did it cost £700? As an installer do you source players trade?
    I have a 503hde and 747 but did not go for a pal progressive upgrade because apparently the 503 doesn't support this. I did however pay for a "chip" extensive multiregion upgrade, however I am not happy because the upgrade thats been done seems to be a very basic firmware affair and also as posted b4 the player makes a funny buzzing sound when turned on/off:confused: Hope you don't mind the questions-any info much appreciated.

18. John_bones

John_bones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my 747 since the begining of Feb love the sound and am still hearing a lot more in the mid-range over my old Marantz CD63Ki Mk2 which was good in it's day but for me this blows it away.

DVD-audio is superb with my Blue Man Group Audio Disc but not so stunning with Metallica's Black Album and I've compared the latter to the Cd.

Picture wise superb although sometimes people can look plasticky when they sweat, I've had a twiddle with the different options and have found this is the only fault that I can see. Any ideas on which settings may cure this?

I've rarely watched television since I've had it as I'm either watching DVD's or playing my way through my Cd collection.

For the price I and GarethH spent I've absolutely no complaints and I would love to hear the Philips 962SA because hearing is believing and if what is said is correct the Philips would be the bargain of the decade so far!!!