Answered How many Blu Rays can you get on a 4TB hard drive?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by chaz, Mar 20, 2017.

1. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Can anybody tell me please how many Blu Rays with just the film nothing else like menu etc you could get on 4TB hard drive Please as my maths and computer skills are not to bright o_O

2. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Quoted from Amazon.com: Questions And Answers: How many movies can the 4TB hold?

It depends on the size of the movie. A Typical commercial DVD is roughly 8 Gigs, so 4TB would hold about 500 DVDs (4000/8). Single layer Blue-Ray disks (high def) will be around 25GB and dual layer disks 50GB, so figure 160 and 80 respectively. Of course, these are approximations. Not all disks are filled to capacity, and all commercial disks contain additional data (menus, previews, optional sound tracks, extras, etc.) not directly attributable to the feature itself.

3. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks bubblegum all I be wanting is to be able to go straight into the films do not want to see previews menu etc just the film and sound. So say 100 blu Rays Would that be about right

4. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    4TB = 4,000GB IF bluray is compressed to 25GB = 160 Bluray. More if you make the bluray smaller.

5. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    PHEW Thanks are you a Maths Teacher:D

6. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    That's a decent approximation but all discs are different depending upon the video bitrate, video length, audio format etc.

Some of my bluray remuxes are only 15GB, others are nearly 50GB.

THat's without menus and extras and no compression.

7. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,823
    I rip to mkv to get rid of titles and extras and my average bluray is around 25gb as noted about. The largest is into the 40 gigs but I don't think I've had a 50 plus yet.

8. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I use Handbrake on my mkv rips to squeeze a few more movies on to my drives, I keep the audio as is and then set video to a constant setting of 18 RF, if you are using a screen panel (1080P) up to 50", I think you would be hard pressed to see any difference in picture quality imo.

9. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks for all the ifo guys I have about 200 Blu rays I wish to put onto a hard drive/drives I will have also a few photos on discs about 10 of those would 4TB be enough to keep the original movie with the sound but not all the extras or would need a bigger hard drive

10. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    I would say bigger or a 2nd drive.

I'd also have a backup if funds allow. Do you really fancy ripping all those discs again......

11. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks Bob

12. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I see there are a lot of 4TB hard drives different makes and different prices it is so confusing which would be the one to go for considering all I am going to have on it is my films.I would like it to be as cheap as I can get if that is possible without losing quality

13. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,823
    Do you want internal or external drives? If external do you want portable or desktop variety?

I myself use 4Tb portable drives from Western Digital as my first choice. They are silent, small and with a reputation for reliability. Most importantly they are powered offf USB so no need for a plug, unlike the desktop drives. The Seagate drives are about the same standard as are Maxtor, who are owned by Seagate these days. Look to pay around £120 for 4Tb portable drives. The larger chassis desktop externals are a bit cheaper but not much and far less convenient to me.

Given that it is just fior media you don't need anything greater in performance. Look for USB 3.0 for quick files transfer.

14. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,823
  15. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
  16. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,823
    In that case I would still look at Western Digital internal drives. Always my first choice.

17. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I was thinking the same but which colour like I said its just for films & photos nothing else

18. sjackson

sjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Go for a WD Red as it's designed for NAS use. As above when I rip my movies to MKV they seem to average 20GB - 30GB. So for your 200 movies you are looking at 4Tb - 6TB plus whatever for your photos. I would say 4TB is on the small side if you want to rip all your movies 1:1 (with no compression).

Since you are getting/have a 2 bay NAS have you thought about redundancy? Are you going to get 2 x 4TB drives and use one as a mirror in case you lose a drive?

19. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I am not getting a NAS just a storage unit to hold the hard drives to play though my media player. No I am not going to mirror it (What ever that means:confused:) But you are right about I do not want to lose quality on my moves or sound so i will get 6GB one and see how I get on. At the moment I am trying to get my head round getting a ISO copy of my 3d films so I can play them on my media player so far I am getting nowhere I have DVDFAB Blu Ray Version and Make MKV and tsMuxeR 2.6.12 Download Free - VideoHelp I have had a load of help from next but can not get ISO copy even WINISO ( Which is total crap ) anyway I am going off subject should I still go for the red Label WD as I do not have a NAS

20. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    I don't think it's actually a NAS as it doesn't seem to have a network connection, it's just a RAID enclosure.
    Regardless of whether it is or not I don't think I'd bother about mirroring a 2 disk array and just have an external drive as backup.
    I would agree 4TB is a bit on the small side and probably go for a 6TB drive. I'd also recommend a WD Red.

EDIT - Chaz replied at the same time as me.

I'd still go for the WD Red as although it's not a NAS it's an enclosure with more than one drive, so you'll still have some of the benefits of using the Red such as vibration reduction and cooler running when other drives are in close proximity.

21. michaelkenward

michaelkenward
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Ignore the "if funds allow" bit. Just do it.

I also prefer several smaller drives (say 2TB) to one huge drive. Less stuff to die in one go.

22. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Ok Bob I have the choice of going for a 2bay enclosure or 4 bay the difference in price is about £30 would it be better for me to go for the 4 bay and get smaller hard drives and get the extra hard drives as i go along lets say 2TB each which gives me a total of 8TB which I do not think I need more than that What do you think? is that the safer way to do it

23. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    You'll probably actually save a little money by going for smaller drives and spending a little more on the enclosure.
    You're going to need about 5TB approximately just now so 8TB (4x2TB) doesn't give you a huge amount of expansion. Also remember you have an overhead with hard drives, so 8TB is actually 7.2TB.

I'd maybe go for the 4 bay and 3TB drives. 3 or 4TB is about the sweet spot just now for HDD prices in capacity to the pound.

24. sjackson

sjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    If it was me, I'd get a different 4 bay storage device that supports RAID5. Put in 4 x 3TB drives which will give you a total capacity of 9TB while allowing for the loss of 1 disk (discount 1 full disk for your redundancy). Plenty of space for future expansion and redundancy.

Apologies as this thread is getting more expensive for you as it goes on!

25. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    what is this RAID5 please bob

26. sjackson

sjackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    The bays you link to can run RAID0 or RAID1. Essentially it's the terminology/technology for grouping hard drives together for pooling and redundancy (ie. covering you if you lose a drive). RAID5 is probably the most efficient/cost effective one for home use where you want to pool multiple drives but also cover yourself. But it means that you lose the storage of 1 full hard drive. All drives must be of the same capacity.

So if you buy 4 x 3TB drives, you only get to use 3 as the other one is used to store data (technically not true but the easiest way to explain it) when is needed to rebuild the array should you lose a disk.

If you have an old PC lying about you can install a NAS operating system on it and set it up as a NAS (bit of setup involved though)

RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10 Explained with Diagrams

27. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    If I do not bother with this RAID and use JBOD mode (Which I have been told to use Mind you I do notknow what it doeso_O) If 1 drive goes Tits up I have only have to worry about that one drive is that correct. It does not bother me to much if I lose one disc of films etc as I have plenty of time to redo that drive as I am retired and nothing else to do expect when the MEMSAHIB!!! gets me out in the Garden:facepalm:

28. dannylau

dannylau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
  29. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Is that what you use to make ISO copys?

30. michaelkenward

michaelkenward
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I may have missed this in the continuing saga, but how do you expect to attach this enclosure to your network?

Some hardware – routers, smart TVs and the like – will not see complicated USB kit. A simple USB drive is all they can handle.

Complicated can simply mean "bigger than we anticipated when we designed the thing".

Then there are format issues. Some USB devices are picky about the formats they will read.

I know this stuff from regular conversations over on the Netgear forum, where there is a continuing stream of messages from people who cannot plug their shiny new USB device into their router. Well, they can plug it in, but nothing happens.

If your network, and the stuff you plan to watch the movies on, does LAN, an NAS would eliminate this issue. It is just the USB bit that is iffy.