1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many archive from TIVO to VHS?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Darren_L, Feb 13, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Since getting my TIVO 10 days ago, I haven't used my VHS machine. It's not even plugged in (the TIVO pinched it's socket). Every evening I have something to watch when I want to watch it.

Do I even need my VHS now? I've got a nice DVD player for films.

Guess the ultimate will be a DVD recorder, but I want to wait until prices come down and the format is standardised.

I've heard about being able to connect TIVO to a LAN. This would be fantastic as you could have a huge array of disks with all your shows to access at the touch of a button! Maybe I'm getting carried away here.....

2. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My VCR's only used for recording programmes that clash. Most of the time it's a Sky/BBC clash and I'll tape the programme on BBC as they normally run late and my VCR has PDC. Hopefully, with the next software release I can use the Season pass priorities and padding to forget about the VCR altogether. As for archiving, so far it's only been used once, to dump a Farscape episode to tape for a friend who missed it.

Martin.

3. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My VCR and TV were rented but I recently decided to buy and bought a TV and DVD (Sony NS900 - grrr!). Buy a VCR? Nah! :D

The only reason I would ever need a VCR now is if someone wanted a copy of something I had on the TiVo... For this situation I have considered buying a cheap (<£100) VCR and storing it in a cupboard and bringing it out when I need to make a recording. Don't think I'll bother though... :)

4. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I regularly copy material from my tivo to one of my DVHS recorders for long term storage – eg I’m building up a tape of Enterprise episodes this way.

I don’t use the dump to VCR function though, I use the conventional play back option. This enables me to run RGB out into an active buffer then run one RGB out from the buffer into my Quattro and onto the TV, and the other RGB out to an RGB to S Video converter and then s video into the DVHS.

A lot of cables required, but very good recordings.

I tape a lot of off air material and the ability of the Tivo to playback the start of a programme whilst its continuing to record is excellent for this, especially as I like to edit the adverts out of recordings that I’m keeping.

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Quote:

Guess the ultimate will be a DVD recorder, but I want to wait until prices come down and the format is standardised.

Waiting for the price to come down makes sense. But I think you will wait for ever for a winning standard to emerge. The technology is moving ahead. Blue laser recorders are planned by Panasonic as early as 2003 in the USA and 204 in the UK. Who knows what other development is round the corner (Solid state perhaps). I don't believe the present DVD recorder formats (not even one of them) will hang on for 20+ years like VHS. Not even 5 years!