1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How loud should my surround speakers be.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Darren Blake, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have my Elac Cinema 1 sats connected to my Denon 1803. Apart from setting speaker size and distance, the settings are as default from the factory.

In PrologicII and Dolby Digital modes (I have not tried a DTS source yet) there seems to be very little sound coming from the surround speakers. The overall sound still feels like it is coming from in front of you (i.e. from the screen). There is a pretty good stereo image, but the only time I notice the surrounds working is when there is a very obvious "effect" using channels 4 and 5, like a ricochetting bullet.

Is this normal, or should I crank up the surrounds a little?

I appreciate that it may be subjective, but I would prefer to listen to the audio as it was intended rather than how I thikn it should sound (if that makes any sense!)

Regards,

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Darren...have you used either the receiver's test tones and/or a sound pressure level(SPL)meter...if not,then this will help you set the correct levels for each speaker,and using an SPL meter(£30-50 from anywhere like Maplins etc) would be the most accurate method.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This is normal as the rear speakers are only for effects and adding ambience. There are many films where hardly anything comes from the rear speakers at all but they are are their most active in blockbuster type films.

Having said that, the factory settings are probably not accurate and as Alex suggests an SPL meter will help you set up all the speakers correctly.

4. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have not as yet used an SPL or a subjective set of the surround speakers. When I do this, should they all be the same volume, or should the surrounds be set quieter than the fronts and centre?

When I change from Dolby 5.1 or PrologicII to 5/6 channel stereo, the surrounds output the same volume as the fronts, giving a much more "immersed" feeling. Do you know whether the volume settings for each speaker are set for each inout type, or will increasing the volume of the surrounds for 5.1 lead to a rear-biased sound for 5/6 channel stereo. Or is my AVR smart enough to handle all this on its own, so I can stop worrying? :)

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    They should all be set to the same level,either by ear or with an SPL meter(if using one of these,set to C-weighted and slow response).

6. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Okey dokey.

I'll give it a go tonight (subjectively) and then try to get hold of an SPL later on.

Cheers for the replies, guys.

7. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well, I turned on the test tone last night and all the speakers were already the same (subjectively). By that I mean they were all "loud" (0dB default offset on every channel on the AVR).

When I get hold of a SPL meter I'll set them up properly.

Cheers,

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I know it is not "True Reference" but I always set my rears the same but 3-5 dB above my fronts to try and accentuate the rear sound image, again I know it is not exactly how the studio expected it to be reproduced but I prefer it that way, especially in PLII.

9. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Oh nearly forgot if you are after a sound level meter, try e-bay before you go to Maplins, there are often some on there.