how loud can I push my PB10 on 20Hz bass

kick ass sub

Standard Member
High, haven't posted something in a while here.

I have my SBS-01 5.1 system now for over 3 months and tested numerous reference DD 5.1 and DTS tracks. But sometimes I wonder how load I can push my system in scenes that dug in the 20Hz range. Note that I never put my subs amp louder then 10'o Clock. and +1.5db on my receiver. I have a 95 watts amp. So how should I look out that I don't damage my sub with deep bass. Whatt's the peak volume in the 20Hz range on the PB10? say I would play scenes from WOTW or FOTP?

Say badger0_o , how is your system doing now?

I must say I still have a boom in the 25Hz range. My av dealer said my room is not as large and sound can't get out of my room. Also because I have a square room. I going to wait when we move into another house. if then still nothing is better I'll may buy a BFD.

Nimby

The PB10 is supposed to be well protected against VLF over-extension with a filter.
It should go on getting louder until it reaches a plateau when the filter comes active. After that it can't go any louder.
How loud that is will depend on room gain which is dependant on room size and the sub's position in the room.
Note that we are talking about playing normal programme material here. (films and music)
Not deliberately feeding the sub a 20Hz signal at ever higher levels until something finally breaks.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
kick ass sub said:
High, haven't posted something in a while here.

I have my SBS-01 5.1 system now for over 3 months and tested numerous reference DD 5.1 and DTS tracks. But sometimes I wonder how load I can push my system in scenes that dug in the 20Hz range. Note that I never put my subs amp louder then 10'o Clock. and +1.5db on my receiver. I have a 95 watts amp. So how should I look out that I don't damage my sub with deep bass. Whatt's the peak volume in the 20Hz range on the PB10? say I would play scenes from WOTW or FOTP?

Say badger0_o , how is your system doing now?

I must say I still have a boom in the 25Hz range. My av dealer said my room is not as large and sound can't get out of my room. Also because I have a square room. I going to wait when we move into another house. if then still nothing is better I'll may buy a BFD.

Sorry mate, I've been on holiday and only just got back.
Mine's fine, to answer your question :thumbsup:
I missed it like crazy, after spending all those hours in pubs and clubs, thinking "deep bass, but clarity-wise, mine kicks it's butt etc" :rotfl:
Go with the BFD, IMO, but then, there are a lot of sub owners who would love to get decent 25 hz, let alone a boom :devil:

My gain is at 12 o'clock, but I'm greedy.
I've never come near to bottoming my PB10; as Nimby says the limiting seems very effective. I've read the same on some tests I've seen.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.
I run mine at quite silly levels sometimes and the sub just eats it up.
You'd have to be pretty reckless to damage one, I'm sure.
As Nimby said, short bursts are much less demanding than continuous tones, which are far more likely to overheat the driver.
So carry on mate and no worries.
Do consider your neighbours though :smashin:

Top Bottom