How loud can an i-pod go via amp?

Toonaroond

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As the above says - if I plug my ipod via stereo interconnects to my Amp then is the volume restricted only by the amp/speaker set up or does the ipod itself dictate how loud we can go?

Is there a significant drop in quality the louder you get too, or will it be adequate for a party (not reference listening!)

Cheers

x-posted on amp thread

I have 2G Nano with euro volume restriction and there's no issue with volume on my denon 2805 amp. The sound quality will depend at the bit rate you have used, the amp and interconect, but for party purposes you should be fine.

Amp will be either a Cambridge Audio A5 or (if that's not going to be good enough) a Pioneer VSX AX5i (I think I will be able to run two lots of speakers at teh same time off this - am trying to get to the bottom if this possibility too!).

Forgot to say that the party if taking place in a big room (ballroom!?) so will need to go fairly loud :eek:

Cheers for reply

Amp will be either a Cambridge Audio A5 or (if that's not going to be good enough) a Pioneer VSX AX5i (I think I will be able to run two lots of speakers at teh same time off this - am trying to get to the bottom if this possibility too!).

Forgot to say that the party if taking place in a big room (ballroom!?) so will need to go fairly loud :eek:

Cheers for reply

I'm not sure either amp will have enough power to fill a ballroom. You'd be better off renting some proper equipment.

>so will need to go fairly loud <

Domestic amps will have problems used for a ball-room. IMHO, everything would be at '10' and the distortion would likely blow out the tweeters on the speakers or (if you're lucky), cause the protection circuit to kick-in.

Need to look at PA gear, e.g. Marshall amps which go up to 11 according to Nigel Tufnel :D

Need to look at PA gear, e.g. Marshall amps which go up to 11 according to Nigel Tufnel :D

Have you seen the "Marshall" Pure DAB radio - it actually does go up to 11 :rotfl:

Looks like its a rental job then - anyone know any reputable (and cheap!) suppliers of such services? Preferably in the North near Manchester?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom