1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long would I have to leave a static logo on the screen for it to burn?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Not A Clue, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of getting a new panny HD plasma (first one for me) and as I watch a lot of sports (say sometimes sky sports stays on for 4-5hrs) I'm worried that the plasma will screenburn

does anyone know how long you have to leave a static image on the screen for it to burn - I'm guessing turning the TV off for 10mins every 3-4hrs hours won't prevent it?

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    The new pannys are pretty much burn proof or at least up to the same standard as CRT televisons. If you keep the contrast and brightness to properly adjusted levels, then you really should not have any problems. :)

3. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic :) thanks for your help

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    That's presumably why Panasonic specifically warn you in the manual not to watch any 4:3 material in the first 200 hours of use and not to watch 4:3 material more than 15% of the time for the next 800 hours after that. :rolleyes:

(By "4:3" I mean "4:3 that is neither zoomed nor stretched").

You guess correctly. Screen-burn is not really a question of "burning" so much as "aging unevenly". If you always have a large blue rectangle in the same place on the screen then the blue phosphors within that rectangle will age faster than the red and green phosphors within that region. Eventually, if you put what should be white in that part of the screen, the blue component is too dim (compared to the red and the green), and the "white" it looks yellowish.

It's not actually a question of leaving the same image on the screen for a long time, it's a cumulative effect. Putting that blue rectangle up 100 times for 1 hour has much the same effect as putting it up once for 100 hours. The only difference is that if other things are happening in between, the red and green phosphors within that region will also be aging, so the overall colour balance at that spot will be nearer correct. If, in between your blue rectangle sessions, the screen is switched off, it will burn just as badly.

5. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    So how can i TRY to avoid burning on my new samsung panel? i will be watching alot of football! :rolleyes:

6. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the detailed response - Frig me I don't know what to do now - should i just go for an LCD :(

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Even if you watch Sky Sports for a long time, the logo disappears when the adverts come one so the screen gets a chance to 'recover' from the static logo so burn isn't a problem.

Only program that I watch that tends to have static images for a long time on Sky Sports is Soccer Saturday where they tend to show the adverts in the top right 'window' and keep the scores etc on the screen. Having said that, I watch it every Saturday during the footy season and haven;t had any problems.

John

8. Mr_Tony

Mr_Tony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about whilst playing on the xbox, with the on screen menus like say san andreas, you have your life and weapon ammo there, how will that affect it

9. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Depends, for example, I play a lot of Project Gotham Racing 2 on my plasma and, although the speedo is there during a race it goes away during cut scenes and race selection.

Never played GTA SA so I don't know if you go to a cut scene very often...

John

10. Mr_Tony

Mr_Tony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well they are quite frequent i suppose, but that was just an example
    so what u saying is, as long as it has a break for like 5-20 secs its ok

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214

Yep,
    A couple of things though.
    Panny put that in the manual to cover themselves. There are occasions when people get screen burn and image retention on the plasma and panny dont wont people taking them to court.
    I have a panny VIera plasma. I ran it in for about 100 hours on settings that were half way. After this I set it up with DVE and have had it calibrated. From day one I have been watching movies had all night gaming sesions and have watched lots of digital tv with logos. I have never had any screen burn issues what so ever. I have had the plasma for over a year now and the picture is just as good as when it was new, probably even a little better.
    If you get a panny Viera wether it is an older one or the new hidef ones, take it out of dynamic, have settings low for the run in period set the thing up with DVE or even a thx optimiser that comes with the starwars DVDs and then after that enjoy your TV
    Dave.

12. derthballs

derthballs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I fell asleep watching sky + with the sky plus screen frozen once the show had finished, was like that for about 6 hours, and i got no screen burn.

Thats on a panny 37" Viera - not HD though.

13. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the panny HD panels are more susceptable to screen burn

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    That's precisely the point I was making. A single instance of a screen frozen for 6 hours probably won't burn. But several hundred hours of the same frozen screen, with not much else happening in betweeh, will burn, even if each specific time when it happens is only a few minutes long. The effect is cumulative.

If the amount of time that you have that frozen image on the screen is a small fraction of the time the screen has spent displaying miscellaneous images then you'll be fine.