How long would a MacBook Pro last?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by adonaldson1986, Sep 9, 2012.

1. adonaldson1986

adonaldson1986
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might sound like a strange Q, but Im sick of buying of £300 laptops like Acer for to get at BEST 2 year at optimum power and about a year at optimum battery. Im basically replacing my laptop every 3 years really and Ive always found I couldn't justify paying for a MacBook Pro.

However, if Id get many years at optimum power out of a MacBook Id certainly buy one knowing I wouldn't have to change it for years unless I wanted too.

2. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    My Mrs' has a 2010 Macbook Pro that's still going really well and lasting just fine, well within expected levels. She doesn't pay any attention at all to battery conditioning, she just charges it when she remembers.

3. adonaldson1986

adonaldson1986
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was to buy one, Id be hoping to get at least 5 years out of it. Is that unrealistic?

4. PeterH988

PeterH988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    I'm on (right now) a 2007 15" MBP, so 5 years of heavy use is ok, although I don't know how the new batteries will be after that long. I'm on my second battery.

I keep meaning to get another MBP, but it keeps working. (And apple keep releasing iPhones and iPads to take my money!)

5. adonaldson1986

adonaldson1986
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the sort of thing Im looking for.

How is the speed of the laptop in conjuction when you first got it?

Was the battery expensive to replace?

6. internetuser

internetuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Laptops don't slow down with age. They just need a reinstall.

Most battery's only really last a year then performance drops. Apple batteries are not cheap

7. yoskiwoski

yoskiwoski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    They always seem to die at around 3 years

They gradually get slower if you keep updating the OS as they add more features intended for newer models adding more ram helps but you can't do this with mac book airs

The batteries always die , if your lucky it will die just before the one year mark so you can get a free replacement

Hard drives often die after about 3 years but with new ssd drives that might not be an issue

8. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I just sold my 2008 MBP as upgraded to a 2011 refurb. Only reason I upgraded was I wanted one with an i7 as doing a lot of Virtual Machines, otherwise I would have kept the 2008. they last great if you treat them well, plus I only lost $400 in 3.5years on it so not bad. Macs always hold there value really well I find.

9. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    A good scheme that many Mac owners adopt is to buy new with Apple Care assuring them of three years of worry-free use. When the Apple Care expires sell the old model & buy a new Mac. The resale value of Macs is pretty good so while your average Windows machine will be pretty worthless the Mac is still worth a significant percentage of the purchase price.

My 2008 17" MBP is just coming up to 4 years old & because I upgraded to an SSD a while ago is actually much faster than when I bought it. It still does everything that I need it for but if I were using it out & about more then I would consider a new model as the battery life on these is so much better than I get even with a new battery which cost £78.

10. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    As mentioned previously, a used Macbook Pro is quite a good idea.

I bought one a month or so ago, a late 2008 15" Core 2 Duo 2.53 with 4GB or ram and it was pretty fast with a fresh install of OS X. I added a cheap SSD and it's now even faster, and was easy as 123 to do......I can even upgrade the ram to 8GB for around £35 if I really wanted to. Later models can take up to 16GB.

D.

11. qsong1

qsong1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I have a mid 2009 MBP. Battery life has halved, but i still get around 3 and a half hours on a full charge. Speed wise still more than acceptable though for intensive tasks like flash video it does get hot rather quickly.

12. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    I've got a 15" MBP from late 2006 that is still going strong. On the third battery and 2nd charger but the machine itself still runs very well. My mate bought a Sony laptop at the start of the year for about £800. She came round the other day and said she preferred my MacBook Pro! Think that just speaks volumes about the quality of them.

The magsafe is still just genius. I'm going to get MacBook Air when they go retina, but I still think I'd be able to get a few hundred for my MacBook Pro when I do come to sell it.

13. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I have a mid 2010 macbook pro 2.4Ghz i5 cpu and 4GB along with mountain Lion. I only use it to surf the net play football manager and a few other simple things.
    I have found over the last few months that it takes longer to shut down or start up than when I first had the machine and I also get the spinning beach-ball when viewing web sites oh and cpu temperature ranges between 50- 90 depending how long I have been on it.

Is there anything I an do to keep the heat down or make it shut down and start up etc as quick as when I first had the machine?