1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long until XBOX 2?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Lex, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am just about to buy an XBOX and it got me wondering how long will it be until it is superceded... (not that it will stop me buying one, I was just curious) If indeed there will be an XBOX 2? I mean XBOX 1 has not been as big a success as they wanted it to be has it?

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hopefully not for a while as i love my 2 xbox's :D .
    But M$ have annouced they will be showing some form of Xbox2 at the GDC show next year.

3. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just read this over on Computer Shoppers web site:-

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday 21st November 2003

XBOX 2 set for shock GDC unveiling
    [Computer Buyer] 12:47

Microsoft is secretly planning to make the first demonstration of next-generation Xbox hardware at next year's Game Developers Conference (GDC). The conference takes place in California from March 22-26 of next year, and if the unveiling goes ahead, it will replicate almost exactly the way Microsoft revealed Xbox itself at the show in 2000.
    With Sony looking increasingly likely to start making waves with PS3 at E3 next May, it's believed Microsoft, having repeatedly asserted it will be first to the market in the next generation, wants to set its stall out early and, most crucially, first.

One senior source, operating under strict conditions of anonymity, told us: 'The plan is to talk specs and show early tech demos [of Xbox 2] at a US event next Easter. This will provide a platform leading towards something more substantial at E3.' The proposed showing at GDC is expecting to match that of the 2000 event, and will be behind closed doors on an invitation-only basis at Microsoft's stand.

In terms of timing, this makes perfect sense: the current widespread belief amongst industry watchers is that PS3 is likely to release in Japan around Christmas 2005, with the sequel to Xbox coming in preceding months, with September/October the current whisper. With this in mind, Microsoft will need to be able to go to investors and related parties with hard evidence soon.

Further credence is added by a recent report by analysts US Bancorp Piper Jaffray, published yesterday, claiming sales of the current generation of console hardware have peaked, forecasting slowing sales for the remainder of this generation; if Microsoft and its competitors are to continue to build upon the installed userbase, the revelation and promise of new hardware is essential.

We contacted Microsoft for clarification, but a spokesperson would only issue the stock response: 'This is a rumour and we do not comment on rumours.' However, one highly placed insider, while refusing to be drawn on the potential GDC showing, did concede: 'We do have quite a lot to talk about now...'

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting. I wonder how much better the next generation will be... Also wonder if the X2 will be backwards compatible like the PS2.

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    not a chance in hell unfortunatly:( they are going ibm for the cpu, which means no x86 compatibility (the code that all desktop amd's/intel's use inculding the pIII-733 in the xbox).

It seems utterly stupid to do it that way.

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Very disappointing :thumbsdow :(

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    the real question is - will M$ pitch the price at a stupidly high level again on launch? or will they learn from the nightmare that was the XBOX launch?

Gary

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Call me naive, but I'm fully expecting the XB2 to be backward compatible, since it was such a selling point for the PS2. I'm thinking the specs will be strong enough on the next console to at least emulate the XBox.

An industry report this week suggests that console sales have peaked and will start to drop now until the launch of the next gen consoles. Regardless of when they launch, you can expect a ton of hype in the coming months from all parties involved.

EDIT: Oh, and I fully expect the PS3 and XBox2 to launch at the same price at roughly the same time. So expect a brutal price war between the two. Great time to be a games consumer!

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I read somewhere else that it WILL be backwards compatible. I'm going to look for the link now and i'll post back here when i find it. :)

EDIT: I remember reading backwards compatibility will be done through emulation.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Get the Xbox now and don't worry.
    I can't remember the last time I used my PS2.

11. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing about it, is the XBox is now fully mature. We should be seeing the best games come out for it in the next year.

12. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    according to Sony (probably), the Playstation 3 is going to be 20 times more powerful than the Xbox 2 or Gamecube 2

Nintendo might be doing away with their policies of 'Games Only' and 'for the whole family' by providing a built in VCR and Cigarette lighter.

Micro soft are lining up a cheap bus ticket scheme to enable you to get to your friends house, for those without broadband, called 'Xbox you're really there'
    you know its true you read it on the internet.
    :zonked:

13. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's a cracker :smashin:

Don't forget the built-in sandwich toaster.

it makes me laugh when one company says our console will be this much better when the architecture for the other console isn't even finalised.

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I certainly hope so - I m not all that enamoured with what is on offer for the xbox, I am buying one now, and yet most of the games I want are all old launch titles: HALO - JSRF - DOA3 - ODDWORLD :rolleyes: :D

15. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    emulating the xbox1 with something that more resembles a mac cpu will be extreamly hard in software. It can be done of course, but it wont be easy - if they do it at all.

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Still can't find the link. Oh well.

If i come across it I will post it. :)

17. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    I think it will be compatatively easy James. After all, getting a Mac to emulate x86 is quite hard as there are all the drivers to worry about, different Mac OS versions, etc.

The XBOS is a static platform, so they have less to worry about catering for. x86 emulation has been done by people such as Transmeta at pretty high speeds - so a fast enough XBox 2 should be able to do it no problem.

IMHO it will be emulating the graphics that could be hard if any games developers have been writing to the hardware.

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, we've seen the gap between a high-end PC and a cutting-edge console get smaller and smaller. With the console market doing so well, that gap is going to keep shrinking. With so much £££ on the line in the next round of the console wars, I expect the PS3 and XBox2 to completely blow the current machines out of the water, spec-wise.

That should make emulation compatibility that much easier, IMO.