1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long until we see great 50+" LCD sets

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by zamwessell, Jun 12, 2004.

1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    After spending a month of stress thinking..wanting to buy a projector and a small LCD set ( which would include projector screen,long dvi/hdmi cables etc)..i have decided it is less stress if i wait for LCD sets of 50" or more to appear.

My room would only allow a 5ft projector screen and i currently have a 36" ( 33" visible screen..grrrr ) CRT.

I think it makes sense for me to wait until these larger LCD sets appear.

Does anyone know know of an E.T.A. for the larger sets to appear?

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, we are seeing the likes of Sony & Philips launching 42'' screens now with Sharp to release a 45'' screen later in the year.
    50'' + screens should be with us some time in 2005. Although, i would imagine that the price will be pretty scary!
    (Typical high street price for the Sony 42'' is around £7000 :eek: )

3. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks for that.

I have a feeling i will be better off waiting for the LCD sets rather than buying a 50" plasma now.

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I saw the 42" Sony MRX1 LCD on Friday alongside the 42" MRX1 plasma. Have to say that I thought both were good but I prefered the LCD. They didn't have football on it but I did see some quite fast moving images and the lcd appeared to handle them very well. Bodes well I feel for larger screen versions. One clear advantage it had was that the screen had a matt image rather than the glossy image of the plasma. You could see yourself reflected in the plasma but not on the lcd. I'm not sure but I think some posts have indicated that the next screens from pio and panny may do something similar. I hope so because it appeared to improve the image no end IMHO.

As an aside I was quite disturbed to note that the plasma appeared to have the TMF logo burnt into the top corner of the plasma screen. I inspected various images running for about 20 mins and the logo was there at the start and at the end. That seems to me a long time for mere image retention and I wondered if they'd left that channel on for some time and burnt it in.

I'm going to see what the new pioneer and panny models are like when they come out in a few months, but at the moment, I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing one of these at Christmas.

5. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks.

I am really tempted to give in and get the 50" Pioneer plasma...but i think i should really wait for a new 50" LCD model to appear ( it must have HDMI/DVI and great contrast though ).Fingers crossed.