• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How long to wait?

martin99

Established Member
Hi All,

You buy a new TV on Monday, its been superseded by Friday!

But seriously how long do you think you should keep a screen before shopping round for a new one? When you begin to notice the improvents in picture that i assume new technologies bring?

I'm an avid SKY HD viewer mainly sports, and my current Samsung is what ever was top of the range about 2 years ago.

Cost isn't as important as quality so is it worth me now spending hours checking out new models or do you think the improvements over the last 2 years or so just aren't worth spending £2-3K on?

cheers

martin

PS what is considered the current Sports TV SOTA? maybe I should just look at one and decide on that.

glesgaguyav

Established Member
LCD and Plasma technolygy has gone as far as it can go IMHO.

I upgraded from a 3 year old 40" JVC to a Samsung 46" B650 only because I wanted a bigger screen, there is a improvement in PQ even though it's a bigger screen but it's mainly the contrast ratio's and brighter picture that make it better.

Manufacturers can only offer new gadgets, internet connection/usb connection and more HDMI connections and in some cases slightly better motion handeling, as for the latter I generally have it switched off.

I'd say if there's no good reason to upgrade and your happy with your present TV, then keep your money in your pocket:smashin:

chic

Distinguished Member
in the last year i have had a 40" samsung lcd tv which i changed to a 50" samsung plasma and i have now went and bought a samsung 46" led tv which should be here tomorrow.

I found my 40"lcd to small for me and the best larger tv i could afford was a
50" samsung plasma which i have had for 3 months. The image retention was getting annoying and i now have a bit of extras cash and i seen the demo of the 46" led samsung in currys and it looked stunning so i bought one and i cant wait untill it arrives.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom