How long to drive West Yorks to Plymouth?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SanPedro, Aug 8, 2006.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    I know it *should* take me 6 hours.

But a mate of mine took 9 hours to go to Cornwall and the same time to get back. That was on a saturday, with appalling traffic around Bristol.

I have a ferry to catch at 12.30pm and need to be there for 11.30.

Anybody got a best guess of how long (realistically) it will take. Can't miss this ferry as the next one isn't for another 2 days (Plymouth-santander).

Thanks

2. [ANG]RK

[ANG]RK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well, its holiday time atm, so always allow a little longer

also, what day are u going on? u know its gonna be busier friday-sunday, so leave extra time there again

I would leave 9 hours anyway, but bring some sarnies with u and have a bit of a picnic!!

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    going tomorrow.

Was thinking of setting off at 4am.

Might consider going tonight as soon as packed up and then whizz down during the night. Crash out at the docks.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    You're biggest choke point is going to be Birmingham - I'd leave early to ensure you through before rush hour as it can really clog up. Don't think the M6 Toll will help either as your coming from the wrong direction (well I've never used it when heading Yorkshire - Southampton anyway).

5. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Probably a bit late for you now, but last time I drove to Devon from Manchester we stayed overnight in a travel lodge just past Bristol. For £50 its worth it just to break up the journey and have an early fresh start the next morning. I'll definitly be doing this in future.

6. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Hi Chris

I regularly travel from Nottingham to Plymouth on friday afternoon I left at 2pm arrived at 6pm only took 4 hrs. Worst bits were M42 as always and then around Bristol though considering we were heading into bristol at 4pm on a friday in holiday season it wasnt that bad.

Coming back on sunday was a bloody nightmare with plastic pig wagons joining the motorway at every junction in somerset and bristol bringing the traffic on the motorway to a halt at each junction:mad:

Not sure how far you are away from Nottingham but If I needed to be in plymouth for 11:30am tomorrow morning I would leave here at 6am which would probably get me in about 10:30am.

It could be worse at least theres no major roadworks!
    Good luck

PS I drive between 85 - 90 mph most of the time on the motorway

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,403
    Ouch an average speed of 62 miles an hour, what speed do you have to do when the road is clear, to average 62 ? Rather a lot I would imagine...

I always try and get close to the port for the night, get a good night's sleep and get there at my leisure in the morning. Leaving tonight and crashing out at the docks may be your best option at this stage, (just don't get there half asleep and crash into them:)) you'll have 24hrs to recover on the boat if memory serves me correctly.

Dave