How long to complain about noisy box??

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by SmokeyBubbles, Jan 5, 2007.

1. SmokeyBubbles

SmokeyBubbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all,

Had Sky HD installed yesterday and overall am very impressed with the picture - my only slight problem is the box does seem to be a bit noisy!! I have read other posts about this issue and I wondered if anyone has a box that is silent (my Sky HD box sits about 1.5m away on a glass shelf).

If there are silent ones how long do i have to complain and replace the box - I would really like a couple of days to see if I get used to it:D

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Have you read the FAQ at the top of this forum & tried turning the power off and restarting the box?

3. Bialykot

Bialykot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi - I've heard of people who have replaced the Thomson box 3 times and still ended up with something a bit noisy (one ended up with something worse than his original). Others have been more lucky and have posted that their boxes are 'quiet'. I also think it's quite subjective - I have a second HD box which is better than the original - some of my family are not bothered by the fans and hard disk clicking noise - others like myself get irritated with it (once you know it's there you listen out for it). The problem with exchanges is that the engineers will not stay for ages in your house swapping boxes in and out - usually they'll deliver just one, plug it in and rush off to their next job, so be prepared for a few weeks of swap outs if that's what you end up doing. In the end I've relocated my box to the adjacent room from my TV and use one of these IR extender 'eyes' from Maplin that plugs into the 2nd RF outlet on the box so that I can use the remote control. It all seems to work OK and of course I can hardly hear the box droning away now.

4. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Worked for me.:thumbsup:

5. SmokeyBubbles

SmokeyBubbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks guys - no I have not read the FAQ's:suicide: Will try it!!