1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how long till home cinema is HTPC led?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by oxygenuk, Aug 14, 2005.

1. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i been thinking about this lately.

how long will it be before HTPC take over our living rooms (eg. monitor/tv with a pc underneath it powering everything from the tv viewing to dvd viewing and burning and many more multimedia features.

just look at bill gates home for instance, everything entertainment wise is build around media center.

i think we'll be having the pleasure of this stuff in about 5 years.

also in that time a nice 42" or whatever the smallest standard monitor/tv is should be really cheap also. and htpc's will be cheap aswell, unless you;ll be buying something like a 4 core cpu comp by then, but hopefully all the software requirements etc dont need monsterous specs by then.

2. craigdyer

craigdyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its also something I have thought about. An all in one solution would be great I think it will be a while though before it takes over as the centre of our living rooms. There are several areas that put me of at the moment and I think the HTPC market needs to mature before I will purchase and before they take over our living rooms.

If I want sky or eventually Sky HD I would like to have the choice of having it all thru a HTPC i.e sky offering PCI cards or set top boxes when you sign up but Sky don't at present support this option and I don't think they will which is a shame.
    If I want Digital TV (talking freeview) then I have to get a Digital TV card for the PC but then if I want to watch one program and record another then I need another card it would be good if makers offered a duel tuner card.

Also I have noticed that some HTPC makers and suppliers don't seem to have thought about drive upgradeability i.e the dvd drive which also has put me off especially with the ensuing battle of Blue ray and HD DVD (Such a shame they can't all get together and settle for one standard.)

I like the Idea of an all in one box but I feel that it will be a while off yet.
    Maybe when Sky see that HTPC is a viable market then they might offer some kind of product, if they did this then I think I would go down that route. and I say this because if I get an HTPC I want to be able to eliminat all other boxes underneath my tv.

Also I think the other problem that will keep HTPCs out of a lot of homes for a long while is standards when people buy DVD players they know that it will do certain things its a different kettle of fish when it comes to whats inside a PC and the general public will stear clear until such a time that you can walk in to your local comets etc and they sell them like they would a dvd player.

I do think the idea of an all in one box is great to be able to watch a film on dvd then look at pictures have all my music to hand is great and then if you had home automation systems the possibilities will be endless.

Well thats my opinion so be gentle. :)

3. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    For most consumers I think that HTPC will not form the basis of HD / Entertainment source, I think that will be the PS3 with Blueray....1080p..........nice.

Plus no windows, or linux etc to crash or get infected, or malwared.

Inability to d/l HD content, but via discs, or networking to a separate PC, or mods could be done.

btw I do have a HTPC with freeview, and a few hard drives.

4. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decent videoprocessing requires a lot of CPU power. You have to decide between using a very powerful PC (> 3GHz 2-core) or to offload part of the processing to hardware implementations.

As it is now, you better leave it to TV designers to build a solution, they use dedicated chips with many parallel cores to do good scaling, de-interlacing, etc.
    In theory it is possible on a PC, but in practice the results are not as good yet as with dedicated implementations.

5. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same was said about the PS2 before that was released, and yet how many serious Home Cinema setups these days are built around PS2s??

Ben