1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long should it take to dub to DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dulux, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Dulux

Dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse my ignorance but how long should it take to dub a 2 hour long programme onto a DVD-R 4X?? The player is a Panny EMR 85. Also, what is the highest speed available on DVD-R?

2. SGM26

SGM26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Since dubbing is similar to copying files on a computer, it should take far less than the program length. I timed it on my Toshiba sx32, and it took 7 minutes for a one hour show at LP. SP should take longer because the files are larger. Generally, you can put one hour on a disk at the best quality, but SP (about 2 hours per disk) looks almost the same.

3. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the logic:
    Your recorder has a 4x DVD-R drive, If you use 4x DVD-R discs, then:
    - One hour program (XP quality) should high speed dub in 15 minutes.
    - A two hour program (SP quality) should high speed dub in 15 minutes.
    - One hour program (SP quality) should high speed dub in 7-8 minutes.
    - An eight hour program (LP quality) should high speed dub in 15 minutes.
    - One hour program (LP quality) should high speed dub in 2 minutes.

HTH

4. Dulux

Dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I need to use a specfic DVD because my current ones Memorex DVD 4X, 4.7GB do not allow me to high speed dub.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then you must be trying to change the quality level from the HDD recording.High speed will only work if the quality is the same,so SP will only high speed if your dvd is SP.If your HDD is XP and longer than 1 hour it needs to be converted to a different level.Rate conversion only occurs in real time.
    4x discs should take 15 minutes to fill an entire disc

6. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an E85 and it takes about 15mins to dub to DVD-R. 20 mins from start to finish (dub, finalising etc.).

As for high speed dubbing, check that you have <DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode> set to ON

7. Dulux

Dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys but does it matter that the original recording was in XP mode?

Ben,
    Yes, the high speed mode has been turned on.

8. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it matters in which mode you have recorded in. Try to think of it in terms of how much space has been used on a DVD-R. 1 hour in XP = 2 hours in SP = 4 hours in LP = 6/8 hours in EP. i.e they all (roughly) take up the same amount of room on the disc. Dubbing time will be the same in all cases at approx 15 mins.

Now if you recorded in XP mode for 2 hours there will not be enough space on the disc so you will have to convert to SP or lower which will be dubbed in 'real time'.

9. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So doesn't your final statement make your first statement incorrect :confused: If Dulux had recorded his 2 hour program in SP he could use high speed dubbing, but as he used XP mode he can only dub in real time.

10. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I don't think so. My first paragraph was merely illustrating that 1 hour in XP takes the same amount of (dubbing) time and space on a disc as 2 hours in SP mode etc. I did assume, of course, that it was known how many minutes can be recorded to a disc in any particular mode.

11. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the first statement that I was referring to was the above. As the original query was to do with a 2 hour program it does matter what recording mode is used to allow high speed dubbing to be done.

12. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, ktng I do see your point. Thank you.

13. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can always split that XP 2 hour recording into two XP 1hr recordings and high speed copy those to 2 x DVD-R.

HTH

14. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    Dulux - I am not sure if it has been made clear but to take advantage of the fast speed dubbing you must use "like for like" quality settings. For example XP to XP, SP to SP, LP to LP.
    Also, the lower the quality the faster the speed (less info/bitrate to transfer)

15. Dulux

Dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank's guys. As iv'e said the original recording was in XP and as someone has already said there is not enough room on the DVD to high speed dud (2 hours) with XP. Looks like i'll have to dub in real time. Thank's once again.

16. yaughan

yaughan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My EH-50 will only let me dub about half my (short) titles in high speed mode.

Possibly it's something to do with which ones have been edited earlier.

It's restrictive when you don't want to reencode. I assume this is Panasonic's response to people who got coasters on the earlier machines when high speed dubbing fragmented files.