How long should an update take?

mer10

Standard Member
Finally got my Wii this morning, have played a bit and then went to update the news channel and having established the wireless connection its been sitting here for 10 minutes saying 'Updating, do not turn power off.' The progress bar isn't moving. What shall I do?

SoleFever

Finally got my Wii this morning, have played a bit and then went to update the news channel and having established the wireless connection its been sitting here for 10 minutes saying 'Updating, do not turn power off.' The progress bar isn't moving. What shall I do?

I would leave it for a bit longer. Sometimes it's really fast but it can be really slow at times. I waited 40 mins once for mine to update.

S

SuperMwng

I've found that my Sky router doesn't like network activity from my Wii & PC at the same time, quite often the update will take ages whilst my PC is in use. When the PC is idle or off, I never seem to have a problem.

Pantera6

when that happened to me i unplugged it and re-updated and it worked.
i wouldnt unplug it though if the bars moved though.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
The last update was very slow for me, especially compared with the previous Wii updates.

I would guess it took around 30 minutes or more for the software update, then about a further 10 for the Opera browser update. Perhaps with all the people updating in order to download the browser update is causing slow traffic.

coluigi

when that happened to me i unplugged it and re-updated and it worked.
i wouldnt unplug it though if the bars moved though.

Rather than unplug holding down the power button for about 6-8 seconds achieves the same effect.

Kaptain_klumpy

Standard Member
About 20 minutes for mine on saturday.
I was starting to get worried as i had only just bought the Wii.

Was thinking "S**T !! finally got hold of one and now its gonna be screwed ".

But all came good eventually!! :thumbsup:

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
It normally takes me around 10 -15 minutes. Haven't downloaded the latest one though...

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
i found that going into the weather channel,first,then updating usually made the updates/downloads go faster..especially the shop channel,that thing could sit on connecting for 10-15 minutes before any signs of life were seen.

Pantera6

honestly mine have never taken over a few minutes, and if they freeze at the start, its a bug, not nintendo being slow or anything

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom