1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long should a repair take? (Denon 2803)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phil.LFC, May 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Apologies if this is not the correct place to enter this question, but:
    I had a button come off the front of my Denon 2803 amp which was still within it's 2 year warranty. I took it back to Sevenoaks in Solihull who said it would probably take about 4 to 5 weeks to be repaired. I asked if they could loan me an amp but they said no. I'm now getting a bit fed up of listening to my TV speakers, so I phoned Sevenoaks a few days ago and they said it was still with Denon, awaiting repair. It will be 6 weeks this week.
    Does anyone know what my rights are? Can I insist on a replacement, or can they just take as long as they like? This is very annoying as you pay your money then are left without your purchase for weeks, even months.
    Any advice would be much appreciated,
    Thanks.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Probably not Sevenoaks' fault as Denon's service department is slow.

Many years ago, my original A1 amplifier went in to replace a blown capacitor, and 7 weeks later it was 'on the test bench'.
    I think it took them 9 weeks in all to sort it out.

Not much has changed then.

3. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does not surprise me much either they took over a month to decide that my old A11 was broke beyond repair.

However Sevenoaks are not exactly covering themselves in gloy here are they. I would have thought they could have found something to loan you whilst yours was in dock. (I believe its called customer care). My shop were happy to loan me a player.

4. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Sevenoaks probably didn't lend you an amp because apparently the current equivalent amps (2805/3805) are out of stock at all of their stores, at least according to the guys at Sevenoaks Hull. I ordered a 2805 last week and he said it would be 2-3 weeks though I hoping it will be sooner. I too am getting fed up with listening to TV speakers...

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I concur, Denon's service department is atrocious, don't be too hard on Sevenoaks, it's not their fault. This is always soemthing that annoys me about some of the great reviews products get in magazines, they never get to find out reliability or service issues. I have been in this industry for quite a while and Denon are notoriously bad at getting things fixed, ask any dealer anywhere in the country.

I would have expected them to loan you a replacement in the mean time though, probably soemhting they have lying around the back which isn't in great demand. The only reasons I can think they wouldn't loan you a unit is that either they would have to give you an unopened unit (unlikely), you insisted on exactly the same machine as your own on loan (very unlikely) or you got very uppity and demanding when you brought the unit in for repair (again unlikely, but I would refuse a loan machine if that was the case, they are under no obligation to offer a loan unit). If neither of these situations is the case then I am at a loss as to why they wouldn't loan you a machine.

As for your rights, if it has been more than 6 weeks then I would speak to Sevenoaks again and get them to call their Rep for Denon, they should be able to get a brand new replacement for you after that period or least a kick up the bum at Denon's service department.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Unless it states anything in the warrenty about time period (or if Sevenoaks have an agreed service level with Denon) then your statutory rights basically equate to "reasonable" and therefore would be up to a judge to deem if the test that Denon do and how quickly they are performed is reasonable against the potential cost for Denon.

When I used to work for a mail order company we often had ladies shoes returned where the high heal had broken off. If the shoes were under £20 we simply replaced with new (not cost effective to investigate or repair), if they were between £20 and £50 we would simply have them repaired unless they appeared heavily damaged and if they were over £50 we would send them off to an investigation company who would advise if it was a fault or just wear & tear.

Whilst it was mainly cost effectiveness that drove the methods we were also sued when we used to send all shoes over £20 to investigators and the judge ruled it was an unreasonable delay but in another case where the shoes were £50 they ruled it was reasonable and so the company process was formed.

Thankfully I dont work in mail order anymore

7. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    When I took it in for repair I was very polite and when told that it may take about 4 weeks to repair I asked if there was any chance of loaning any kind of amp as I didn't fancy listening to just the TV speakers for that amount of time. He just said something like "no, we don't have any loan machines".

I will give them a call today and ask them what the situation is. If they say it is still awaiting repair I will ask them about a loan machine or a replacement. I'll let you know! I suppose I could have made more of an issue of it when I took it in. It's not the most expensive amp in the world but you would think that £500 spent in the shop would hopefully entitle you to some amount of customer care?

Thankyou for the replies, they have been very helpful.