Question How long is reasonable for a Richer Sounds Warranty Repair?

Marvt74

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My TV developed a fault back in October where it would turn itself off when trying to change source/open an App. It wasn't a 100% occuring fix, but enough for it to be annoying. This mainly started when i updated the software in the hope of fixing an issue where my new soundbar wouldn't work over HDMI ARC, it would be detected for a few minutes and then lose connection or just not be detected at all, or would be detected but the TV defaulted to 0 and no attempt to increase volume worked. I thought the soundbar was faulty but the replacement did the same thing, as did another soundbar we owned when i tried that.

The TV in question is a Samsung Q7F

I called Richer Sounds who booked in a repair. It's now almost 5 months later and i'm still waiting for a repair. The process so far goes

01/10/20 - I reported a fault to Richer Sounds.
13/10/20 - Engineer came out and decided it was the Fibre Optic cable (the tv has a separate screen/control box), said they'd order one in
28/10/20 - Engineer comes out, replaces the fibre optic cable and no change to the operation. Engineer suggests the next step is to take the tv to their workshop to test it, but suggests i ring RS to ask about a loan TV whilst it's away.
02/11/20 - RS advise they have no loan TVs, and the original job is closed. They open a new repair ticker
16/11/20 - Engineer comes out and takes the tv away
27/11/20 - Workshop call to say they can't find a fault through testing, suggest it'd be another 3 weeks till they can return my TV. They're not far away so i went to collect it.
01/12/20 - Call RS to ask what the next stage is given i still have a faulty tv and the repair centre can't fix it. They book in another repair
05/01/21 - Engineer (different) turns up, he accepts there's a fault and various fault codes recorded on the One Connect box. Suggests changing the one connect box
21/01/21 - Engineer arrives, swaps over the PCB in the One Connect box, turns it on and with 15 seconds the tv powers off, he does this multiple times, thinks the new PCB is faulty. Swaps back to the original PCB and says he'll order another one. Suggests in the meantime that i should ring RS to see if they can offer anything else as it must be annoying.
05/02/21 - Repair booked in but rescheduled to 10th due to delay in part ordering
10/02/21 - Repair booked in but rescheduled to 18th due to delay in part ordering
18/02/21 - Engineer turns up, since the last visit, the issue has become much worse and the tv is now turning itself off much more regularly. He swaps the PCB over again. Tries going through setup and notices some notceable banding accross the screen which he says isn't right. The TV also turns itself off multiple times. He switches back to my original PCB and says he'll order some more parts in the hope that might work, but to again ring RS to see if they can look at other options to resolve the issue, as apparently Currys state a repair within 28 days or they jut replace/refund. I've now been waiting 4.5 months.

I spoke to Richer Sounds after the visit on the 21st, to be told that they are entitled to 3 attempted repairs. The time they took it back to a workshop but couldn't recreate the issue they believe doesn't count as an "attempted repair". Even though they could a prior and after repair attempt for the same issue. Just kept being asked to wait until the next repair which kept being postponed.

I spoke to Citizens Advice to try and understand my rights who seemed to suggest i submit a complaint stating the TV isn't fit for purpose and that the repair has now gone well passed what would count as acceptable.

I'm waiting for a response from Richer Sounds who are supposed to be contacting me today. But just wanted some further feedback from people as to what they would expect and whether i'm being unreasonable by pushing for an alternate resolution now given how long it's dragged on for already and how much longer it could go on for given the engineer seems to be clutching at straws. I'd have thought it'd be costing them a fortune to keep blindly trying things given 7 engineer visits and workshop time but perhaps not.

EDIT - Apologies, the formatting looked better in preview mode without all the adverts, but not sure how i could make it any better.

Even in these times, think you've been very patient!

Thanks. I feel i have too and it's only now that i can anticipate a month minimum for another attempt and just don't see an end in sight that i'm pushing for an alternative.

I think part of the hesitation is that the One Connect box only comes with the top end Samsung Q95T and it's a feature i really make use of, so even store credit for my purchase would involve a decent chunk of cash on my part. I presume i can't push for a like for like replacement on that basis!

Not sure if it's still John @Richer Sounds , but they do frequent the forums and have been proactive in the past

How old is it?

My TV developed a fault back in October where it would turn itself off when trying to change source/open an App. It wasn't a 100% occuring fix, but enough for it to be annoying. This mainly started when i updated the software in the hope of fixing an issue where my new soundbar wouldn't work over HDMI ARC, it would be detected for a few minutes and then lose connection or just not be detected at all, or would be detected but the TV defaulted to 0 and no attempt to increase volume worked. I thought the soundbar was faulty but the replacement did the same thing, as did another soundbar we owned when i tried that.

The TV in question is a Samsung Q7F

I called Richer Sounds who booked in a repair. It's now almost 5 months later and i'm still waiting for a repair. The process so far goes

01/10/20 - I reported a fault to Richer Sounds.
13/10/20 - Engineer came out and decided it was the Fibre Optic cable (the tv has a separate screen/control box), said they'd order one in
28/10/20 - Engineer comes out, replaces the fibre optic cable and no change to the operation. Engineer suggests the next step is to take the tv to their workshop to test it, but suggests i ring RS to ask about a loan TV whilst it's away.
02/11/20 - RS advise they have no loan TVs, and the original job is closed. They open a new repair ticker
16/11/20 - Engineer comes out and takes the tv away
27/11/20 - Workshop call to say they can't find a fault through testing, suggest it'd be another 3 weeks till they can return my TV. They're not far away so i went to collect it.
01/12/20 - Call RS to ask what the next stage is given i still have a faulty tv and the repair centre can't fix it. They book in another repair
05/01/21 - Engineer (different) turns up, he accepts there's a fault and various fault codes recorded on the One Connect box. Suggests changing the one connect box
21/01/21 - Engineer arrives, swaps over the PCB in the One Connect box, turns it on and with 15 seconds the tv powers off, he does this multiple times, thinks the new PCB is faulty. Swaps back to the original PCB and says he'll order another one. Suggests in the meantime that i should ring RS to see if they can offer anything else as it must be annoying.
05/02/21 - Repair booked in but rescheduled to 10th due to delay in part ordering
10/02/21 - Repair booked in but rescheduled to 18th due to delay in part ordering
18/02/21 - Engineer turns up, since the last visit, the issue has become much worse and the tv is now turning itself off much more regularly. He swaps the PCB over again. Tries going through setup and notices some notceable banding accross the screen which he says isn't right. The TV also turns itself off multiple times. He switches back to my original PCB and says he'll order some more parts in the hope that might work, but to again ring RS to see if they can look at other options to resolve the issue, as apparently Currys state a repair within 28 days or they jut replace/refund. I've now been waiting 4.5 months.

I spoke to Richer Sounds after the visit on the 21st, to be told that they are entitled to 3 attempted repairs. The time they took it back to a workshop but couldn't recreate the issue they believe doesn't count as an "attempted repair". Even though they could a prior and after repair attempt for the same issue. Just kept being asked to wait until the next repair which kept being postponed.

I spoke to Citizens Advice to try and understand my rights who seemed to suggest i submit a complaint stating the TV isn't fit for purpose and that the repair has now gone well passed what would count as acceptable.

I'm waiting for a response from Richer Sounds who are supposed to be contacting me today. But just wanted some further feedback from people as to what they would expect and whether i'm being unreasonable by pushing for an alternate resolution now given how long it's dragged on for already and how much longer it could go on for given the engineer seems to be clutching at straws. I'd have thought it'd be costing them a fortune to keep blindly trying things given 7 engineer visits and workshop time but perhaps not.

EDIT - Apologies, the formatting looked better in preview mode without all the adverts, but not sure how i could make it any better.
It pays to communicate by email. With phone calls it can end up as who said what? Don't trust the name they give over the phone. After one place told me when I rung back, 'No one with that name works here.'

I bought it in June 2018, so just over 2 years when i first had the issue. Obviously older now!

Most communication has been over email. A few calls to look for updates or when i've not had a response, but then tend to move to email so it's recorded.

Last edited:
Your have been extremely patient. I would demand refund or replacement straight after discovering that 2 months old TV has developed a fault.

Btw this why I avoid samsung brand like a plague.

Your have been extremely patient. I would demand refund or replacement straight after discovering that 2 months old TV has developed a fault.

Btw this why I avoid samsung brand like a plague.

Sorry, was a typo and meant 2 years.

Either way today came and went with no phone call, so found the "Email Julian" section of their website and have fired off an email to him. Wish i'd known about that a while ago!

I think RS are shooting themselves in the foot dealing with manufacturers who can't deliver solutions. 4 visits that's like £400 +admin... TV itself probably not worth that now, why not just offer guaranteed solution like refund or replacement (like for like within value).... In most cases consumer also looses day value for each visit! Seems like poor TQM within departments.
Who ever runs operations within RS needs a proper kick...

Well had a good result from using the "Email Julian" option on their website. Sent the email at around 5pm at the point it seemed unlikely the regular customer service guys would get back to me.

Had an email response from the head of Customer Service at around 6pm, letting me know either he, or his deputy would ring me on the Saturday. Then had a phone call at 11am on Saturday to apologise and offer me a like for like replacement.

I think my only issue is that the only "like for like" replacement would be the Q95T because of the One Connect box which was the main selling point of the tv for me. I accept this is a decent level higher than my Q7T was though so hoping they just offer me store credit for my tv and let me pay the extra.

I think hoping for the Q95T as a direct swap might be a bit hopeful.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom