How long is 'for a long period'

flib1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm sorry to ask about image retention.
I'm hopefully going to be purchasing a Panasonic OLED TV later this week.
As far as I understand it, the TV I'm getting was first released in 2019, so image retention or burn in should be less of a risk than earlier panels.
That said, in the instructions it says,
'Do not display any still part of the image
for a long period
In such cases the still part of the image remains dimly
on the screen (“image retention”). This is not considered
a malfunction and is not covered by the warranty.
Typical still image parts:
• Still images shown continuously on the same area
(ex. channel number, channel logo, other logos or
title image, etc.)
• Still or moving pictures viewed in
4:3 or 14:9 aspect ratio, etc.
• Video games'

I will be using it to play video games so maybe it will dim certain parts of the HUD, but how long is a 'long period' so I can avoid it as best I can?
Is it an hour, six hours, three days?
Also, how long should the screen display another image before going back to the same game?

Thanks for any input.

P.S. I did search for an answer but couldn't find anything about lengths of time.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about unless have something with a static image on screen every day for several hours a day, that will over time cause retention.

I'd avoid MMO games these usually have lots of static huds elements and are played for long sessions but for everything else your generally fine .

You shouldn't have anything to worry about unless have something with a static image on screen every day for several hours a day, that will over time cause retention.

I'd avoid MMO games these usually have lots of static huds elements and are played for long sessions but for everything else your generally fine .
Thanks, the game I was most worried about was Minecraft and the inventory bar at the bottom. Sometimes I can be on that for a few hours at a time although it's pretty rare.
I will also have it connected to a PC but I have that set to switch off the display after a few minutes of inactivity.
I just didn't know what the definition of a 'long time' was. For some it's a few hours, for others, days.

Surely this is the same time as the length of a piece of string because it will depend on how bright the static image is as well as how long it is displayed.

Surely this is the same time as the length of a piece of string because it will depend on how bright the static image is as well as how long it is displayed.
Yep, and add colour of static image and TV picture settings etc to that.

In the OP's example, I'd be wanting to set the panel luminance as low as is possible for comfortable viewing. Having a static image on the screen for hours would make my anxiety twinging.
Googling the Minecraft inventory bar brings up images with a grey bar and red hearts across its top edge?! Red is the most effective colour for causing image retention.

Paul

How many 2019 OLEDs have you seen on the Wild Wild Web with reports of burn in. Practically zero. Reports of burn in are primarily on 2017 and older LG models. There have been millions of OLED TVs sold and billions of OLED cell phones. The technology is solid with respect to burn in. OLED panel technology has significantly advanced since rting.com's burn-in test, which used 2017 models.

Many OLED owners today are habitual gamers who have a lot of static content on their OLED TVs. Because the reports of burn in on 2018 and newer OLEDs have practically disappeared I would say buy an OLED and enjoy.

What CNET says, "Also, OLED technology has gotten better. Billions of dollars have been spent on OLED manufacturing and R&D, and that's ongoing. So stories you may have heard about "burn-in" likely entered the zeitgeist years ago about older OLED displays. You just don't hear about newer OLEDs having these issues "

Last edited:
Yep, and add colour of static image and TV picture settings etc to that.

In the OP's example, I'd be wanting to set the panel luminance as low as is possible for comfortable viewing. Having a static image on the screen for hours would make my anxiety twinging.
Googling the Minecraft inventory bar brings up images with a grey bar and red hearts across its top edge?! Red is the most effective colour for causing image retention.

Paul
You are 1000% correct about red being the worst for image retention/screen burn this was my C6 all of this was because of red being shown

Attachments

• AFE72CD5-3D3D-4BC4-BF11-23B55CE0552C.jpeg
    AFE72CD5-3D3D-4BC4-BF11-23B55CE0552C.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 86
How many 2019 OLEDs have you seen on the Wild Wild Web with reports of burn in. Practically zero. Reports of burn in are primarily on 2017 and older LG models. There have been millions of OLED TVs sold and billions of OLED cell phones. The technology is solid with respect to burn in. OLED panel technology has significantly advanced since rting.com's burn-in test, which used 2017 models.

Many OLED owners today are habitual gamers who have a lot of static content on their OLED TVs. Because the reports of burn in on 2018 and newer OLEDs have practically disappeared I would say buy an OLED and enjoy.

What CNET says, "Also, OLED technology has gotten better. Billions of dollars have been spent on OLED manufacturing and R&D, and that's ongoing. So stories you may have heard about "burn-in" likely entered the zeitgeist years ago about older OLED displays. You just don't hear about newer OLEDs having these issues "
Then I must have been very, very unlucky. Perhaps you would like to buy my "close to impossible to have burn in" LG OLED65C9PLA (2019), bought in December 2019.

Thanks, the game I was most worried about was Minecraft and the inventory bar at the bottom. Sometimes I can be on that for a few hours at a time although it's pretty rare.
I play Minecraft with my son every now and again on my (2019) Panasonic GZ950 but I've tweaked one of the picture modes to have lower OLED luminance and colour settings just to be on the safe side. There are also video settings within Minecraft itself where you can change the transparency of the inventory bar and even auto-hide it when not in use - at least there are on the PS4 version.

I've got no sign of any panel degradation so far and that includes occasional lengthy sessions on other games too. I tend to take the same precautions for games with brighter, static HUDs but none on games without them (like The Last of Us - Part 2, for example, which I'm playing at the moment).

My OLED gets used for a variety of different content though and gaming only makes up a modest percentage of that. If I was using it mainly for gaming/PC use and didn't want to comprise on picture settings and/or wanted to game in HDR often, I'd probably have to think carefully about whether LCD would be the wiser choice.

I am also concerned about my C1 (bought in February this year). Even if I wanted to sell it it is (probably) too late because no one wants to buy used OLED. Anyway my wife watches some TV channels which have age warning sign in Poland (yellow one). Sometimes it could be a red one if it is adults only content. It could be like 8-10h a week (7 days). So from 1h to max 2h per day. Maybe not too much but still worried about that.

Attachments

• 14120ya4a6dd7832afd0291460994ccac2db93.jpg
    14120ya4a6dd7832afd0291460994ccac2db93.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 65

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom