How Long is a Piece of String?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Wilbur, May 6, 2004.

1. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I'm considering selling my plasma but don't really know what a fair asking price would be. As they don't come up on the forum classifieds it's quite difficult to gauge.

So... your thoughts please on a 2.5 year old Panasonic TH42PW4B (silver) in excellent condition. No termination board (so connectivity options are VGA, Component and S-Video). Still boxed. Mainly used for movies so no screen burn. No dead pixels.

No prizes for the first person who says £50 and I'll take it off your hands!

Thanks

Will

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I saw someone on here saying that they were buying a 4 series panny (little used) for about £1250...

Hope his helps...

JJ

3. Hazy Davy

Hazy Davy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer the more important question....a piece of string is about...erm..this long!

Sorry, couldn't resist....:zonked:

"Helpful" Hazy.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Given you can get a well accessorised newest model for £2250 I would personally not spend more than £1000 on an old machine with no warranty or anything

ad

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Basically Wilbur it's not worth selling. It's like a buying a new car and selling it as soon as you leave the forecourt!!!

If you're after an upgrade I would invest in a video processor for a better pic (should I say much better pic!), or if you're going up to a 50" it's worth a grand to stick the 42" in the bedroom...

6. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it the 4 series panny has not really been beaten in image quality by the newer models - the 5 was a step backwards and the 6 is about on a par with the 4. (please correct me if I am wrong).

Therefore a good condition 4 series is looking like better value. I'd say between £1200 and £1400.

Cheers

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    except that a plasma problem is something that is often something that almost needs a replacement..... In other words I think that warranty is critical

ad

8. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the pannys were pretty reliable:confused:

Tbh I am more into 2 channel hifi than AV, where the idea of spending large sums on s/h kit with no warranty to save £££ on the new purchase price is generally seen as common sense. I am not sure what the received wisdom is in the AV world.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    in general with AV stuff you are safe when it comes to 2nd hand electronics, but when you are talking about 2 very closely spaced 42 inch sheets of glass..... this is another story altogether. Even with projectors I would be wary of no warranty and at least with them the failures tend to be fixable without enormous expense. With a plasma, with best intentions on the world, the 2nd time you turn it on, it could die and you could be faced with a £2k bill to fix it.....

ad

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    a piece of string is....twice the distance from one end to the middle :D :)

JJ

11. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll come clean, I am the guy buying a TH42PWD4 for £1250. Considering I know the panel and have seen it working on many occasions and know it has been very well looked after, this is a bargain IMO. I think the reliability and warranty issue is being somewhat overplayed here. You only get a 1 year warranty on these anyway unless you go for an extended warranty which is exorbitant IMO.

If it breaks down and the cost of repair is prohibitive, then I'll junk the screen and buy another one s/h - in all probability for a lower price than I am paying for this one. This would still cost me less than buying a new one now. For the chance to save over £1K on the cost of a new one with no loss in image quality over the newer models, it's a no brainer for me.

YMMV.

12. rjpageuk

rjpageuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is your answer then, bung it in the classifieds for £1250 and see what happens :).