How Long Have You Had Your Plasma?

underscore

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals !

I was just curious to see how long a plasma tv actually lasted for (besides the 100,000 hrs ;))
So what make is your plasma and how long has it been with you. If it bit the dust mention that too.... maybe we can get some much needed statistics vis-a-vis manufacturer build quality and reliability!

Personally I don't own one yet. Hopefully getting an X10 next week :rotfl: so I would venture Panasonic 42X10 minus 5 days ;)!

Had me PIONEER 434 HDE approx 5 years until i sold it did not have any probs with it at all apart from the blacks :thumbsup:

I had a Panasonic plasma monitor from 2003 to 2009 and I had no problems whatsoever.

Pana Pw4 for over 8 years and as good as the day I bought it

Pioneer 5090, 2 months old. It's a buzzer though

Last edited:
Panasonic 37PX80 - 10 months, no problems
LG 32PG6000 - 9 months, no problems (minus one minor problem which I caused...)

so happy days since the beginning of the year, never owned a plasma before hand, was still on good old CRTs, one of which has a shakey picture, something I've noticed since the upgrade. The other one I can no longer see because it's so small!

Monarch08 - what was the major problem you caused?! ;)

Bought a 42" PX60 in Feb 07, got loads of abuse (things like 360 games on 24hours non-stop, tv left on for days in a row whilst I was away..). Its now at my very happy mum and dads house and working fine (still under guarantee). It had the d-board replaced under guarantee for the infamous 'purple snakes' problem last year.

50" G10 has been fine since May 21st. No problems whatsoever, still deciding about firmware update and will probably take the plunge later on.

Monarch08 - what was the major problem you caused?! ;)

The minor problem I caused was letting it reach nearly 60 degrees in temperature because of my bedroom being so hot (this is during the heat wave), caused a little bit of banding, but it's gone now so all happy :D

I have a fully functioning Panansonic TH-42PA20 bought in 2003 (had a power supply fail), but apart from that, nothing else.
It has component input (fed by the excellent Mark Grant cables) from a Sony all-in-one, and SD only Sky.

I view from about 14ft (either my eyes are getting worse or it looks smaller every week !!) - the picture quality has always been excellent, and to my eyes still betters some modern LCD's I have seen.
I will be replacing all kit by TX-P58V10:D, Denon AVR1910, Pioneer DPD-320, SKY+,and Anthony Gallo Micro-Ti's, when I can convince SWMBO that all that outlay is FULLY justified to replace something that "still works as well as the day we bought it, and it's only a tele:confused:", and when I've saved up a bit !!

The minor problem I caused was letting it reach nearly 60 degrees in temperature because of my bedroom being so hot (this is during the heat wave), caused a little bit of banding, but it's gone now so all happy :D

Ah, another LG problem then! ;)

My G10 is a bit like having an extra radiator in the house sometimes! :)

Panasonic PHD8 3 years and good as new.
Panasonic PF11 1 year. No problems so far.

Panasonic 42PX60 for 4 years. Now in bedroom and still going strong.
Except for Purple snakes, D-board episode mentioned by Jim, no problems at all. Fantastic TV.

The other one I can no longer see because it's so small!

That sound s like a premonition for my bedroom set! It's still a trusty old JVC 21 inch CRT! The wife re-arranged the room so already I can hardly see it!! :D

Had my Panasonic 42PV500 for 4 years and no problems, no screen burn, no 'running it in on reduced settings' etc. Watched loads of 'logo channels', 2.35:1 borders, HUDs on xbox 360 and NO PERMANENT SCREEN BURN.

In fact everything Panasonic I buy seems to last and last, so no need for ext warranties etc. Still got a 28" CRT from 16 years ago going strong!

Ah, another LG problem then! ;)

My G10 is a bit like having an extra radiator in the house sometimes! :)

At 60 degrees? No, the room itself was over 40 degrees at the time, I don't think my PX80 would survive that any better.

That sound s like a premonition for my bedroom set! It's still a trusty old JVC 21 inch CRT!

Mine was 15", I must have been sat well over 2 metres away though

I still have a Panasonic PW5 which has relegated itself to bedroom duty now but easily did 6-7 hours a day when it was in the lounge. Must be 7 years old by now, bulletproof too.

bought my Fujitsu 4221 in Sept 2001, in 8 years never had a single problem until it bit the dust yesterday.

to be fair I never had it serviced despite being warned I should when I bought it. The only thing I used to do quite regularly is hoover out the dust from the vents.

The fans on it had started to get noisy over the last six month or so - every now and then it sounded like they were ramping up to cope with overheating so I guessed it was on it's way out.

Since having toddlers in the house it has been in use pretty much 12 hours a day for the last year or so but only weekends and evenings prior to that.

I have also moved house with it 4 times since I've had it and transported it sometimes vertical, sometimes horizontal.

:confused: Just need to decide what to replace it with now - see my other thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-televisions/1095060-replacing-broken-fujitsu-4221-help.html help please !!

My first plasma, Panasonic 42PX80 bought nearly 2 years ago. I was careful with it for the first 2 months, now i game around 5-6 hours at a stretch and no serious IRs. I have to admit that i am really impressed with Panasonic plasmas. I plan to move it to bedroom and probably get a 50 inch beast to the living room in the near future.

We've had our Pioneer PDP-507XD since December 2006, bought from John Lewis on a price match. Been really happy with it, although we've had Pioneer out a couple of times to sort out some issues with buzzing.

It was my intention to upgrade to a KRP-500A/M at some point, but it looks like I've left it too late now :(

It was my intention to upgrade to a KRP-500A/M at some point, but it looks like I've left it too late now :(

Not an expert, just an avid reader and if the reports are true that Panasonic picked up most of the Pioneer plasma engineers, my gut tells me within a year or two Panasonic will be out with a panel that will astound. That's one of the reasons among several that I went with the X10 as my first plasma. I plan to move it into the bedroom eventually and get a jewel of a set for the living room/lounge/toddlers under our eyes room! :D

Well they will eventually catch up...the question is when, and how much, the Panasonics contesting the Pioneers the closest are the really expensive ones like the VX100, you're looking at spending at least what a Kuro costs for one of them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom