How long has your amp been in the shop?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Weidass, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What in your opinion is a reasonable amount of time for an amp to be repaired?

Mine has been at denon for about 8 weeks now and im begining to get a bit ****** off.

am i moaning about nothing?

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    what is it in the shop for? its always possible somethings gone that they have to get on order themselves from the factory or suchlike......altho 8 weeks is dragging it on a bit...lol

are you paying for this? or is it on manufacturers guarantee or an extended warranty type thing?

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    No you are not. 8 weeks is excessive. Getting an estimate for a job is not just about cost however. An estimated time for completion is not unreasonable. You would at least have a case for them providing you with a loan machine if they took longer than expected.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Any more than a week and I'd be knocking on the door. Always fun to start complaining, a loan amp or some form of compensation is usually in order.
    A threat to your dealer to take your custom elsewhere is always useful if things go bad.....
    At the very least you should be getting regular updates from Denon or your dealer.

5. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well, any of you remember the large storms around cambridge we had about 8 weeks ago? well, thats the cause of my amp going to the shop.
    the amp was fine apart from when the surround left channel played anything, the amp cut out and said there was a short circut. (yes i checked the obvious stuff)

i took it into seven oaks, and they sent it to denon.

i went in 2 weeks later, and they said that denon was moving warehouse so things were going slow.

i went back a week later, same thing. so i have left it.

Im thinking about going in there and getting them to give me a 3805 for the hassle at denons expense.
    although, im not sure im that persuasive.

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    They lose things when they move. Get on to them to track it and confirm they have it.

7. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sounds like they are taking the mick! I once sent a Sony TA-FE230 amp in for repair (which got sent to a repair place that was 4 miles from the Sony store where I took it to). It took 3 weeks for an internal fuse to be replaced! Yet, when my NAD C521BEE had to be returned to Lenbrook (stopped reading CDs), the repair took exactly 2 weeks, as promised! Don't have a problem if gear goes wrong, but I do expect a decent service from the repairer. Hats off to Lenbrook for a speedy and efficient service.

8. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Weidass,

If it's the Sevenoaks store in Cambridge, I’m about to spend £7K in there next week. If you'd want I could mention the problem, maybe then they would get the hint that other customer are aware of this problem and don't find it acceptable either.

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    ok, its always possible they are moving premises so things are being delayed, this sort of thing does happen, even tho its rare.......but basically you are without sound, pop in to the sevenoaks shop, and say because it really is taking so long, could they at least loan you a stereo amp if they cant spare a surround amp.....they stock so many stereo amps they wont mind doing that.....at least they shouldnt mind.....

i was almost having to take my 3803 in to their swiss cottage branch because i couldnt get the optical inputs to work, first i thought might be the cable, but we found out that the cable was working fine........so i asked what would happen in regards to me being without sound, they said they wouldnt really be able to spare a surround model, so i said well i can use an old sherwood i have knocking about to tide me over, but it means taking it away from my mums spare room that she uses a lot, so i asked if they could loan me a stereo amp for her to use, they said not a problem...

this was yesterday......woke up this morning, and out of curiosity i checked the back panel properly......turns out my amps optical sockets have the two OUTput ones at the top and then the rest below, number 5 at the top.........i'd been working on the assumption the top one on the panel would be input 1 :-(
    so now it works so no worry.....lol.....damn that was scary thoughts for a while tho...

anyhow, try asking if they can lend you a stereo amp, at least then you'll have some kind of sound.....or if they have an ex-demo model they are keeping for sale that they can loan you.....doesnt hurt to try :)

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,393
    Harry, what are you buying from Cambridge sevenoaks for £7k? (if you don't mind me asking). Never been impressed with that sevenoaks, quite a poor range though I have bought from them several times in the past :rolleyes: :)

11. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    it is the cambridge one.

and i went in there on Friday, and they phoned denon while i waited.
    i was told that denon had sent it back the day before (thurs) so it should be in the store either today (fri) or tomorrow (sat).

its now the end of monday and i have heard nothing.

i am gonna pop in tomorrow and if its not there i firstly will be very impressed that its taken this long to still be in the post, and i will say that if i dont have it by the end of the week i want a replacement.

and an oops on my part, its only been 6 weeks, not 8.
    but it damn well feels like 8+

12. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Smurfin,

Pioneer plasma, AVR3806, DVD3910, RS6's, RS'1's, RSLCR, RSW12 and plenty of chord rumour 4 cable + other (HDMI, interconect etc.).

13. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I had a problem with one of my kef speakers and took it back to musical images, edgware for repairs under warranty. I took the speaker on saturday and the following tuesday they called and told me the speaker was repaired and is ready for collection!!!

Denon and seven oaks are simply taking the ****. Go in there and demand a loan machine.Don't take no for an answer!!!

14. TTT

TTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As an employee with a competing retailer, I would like to stand in their (Sevenoaks') defence in this matter. There is a significant disparity in the levels of service offered by different manufacturers to their dealers and thus to the end users. This story is fairly typical of any involving Denon's "service" department.

The retailers are in a tricky situation- we can't offer an alternative repair as this will void the product's warranty and Denon just move at their own pace.
    In answer to an earlier suggestion, loan stock is a fine plan in theory, but is simply not economical for these products, espeically when largely sold at a discount.

These issues are not limited to Denon by any means- most of the Japanese manufacturers seem to operate in a similar way. I suspect that ultimately this is due to the consumer electronics market's price sensitivity. Service is compromised if units can be sold at a lower price (and therefore in greater numbers) as a result. If you guys don't like it, stop buying Denon/Sony/Pioneer/etc! You can be sure their ways would change then. I am aware that smaller/British manufacturers have their bad days too, but in my experience, the average turnaround is significantly shorter.

Interested to hear views from other retailers....

TTT

15. TTT

TTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Kef are generally extremely good- not least as they will send out replacement parts promptly for the dealer to fit saving masses of time in shipping the speaker up and down the country and reducing the risk of loss/confusion in a return.

16. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Nothing to do with the fact the parts don't have to come from the other side of the world perchance?
    My worst experience was with a UK manufacturer who lost a piece of my Fathers kit, and was only resolved after the dispute reached MD level. While the replacement hardware is still going strong after some 20 years, the company involved alas is not...
    If the dealer involved was more pro-active and gave the impression they were on our side, perhaps they would not be caught in the crossfire. But then they could just be negative and suggest we boycott the offending brands which does nothing for the immediate problem. :)

17. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    As an employee of a different Sevenoaks store I have to say that I agree with every point you have made. Denon's service department as absolutely atrocious to say the least. The amount of time this repair is taking is fairly typical of Denon and in no way should be a reflection on the store that is handling the repair. If you don't like it then give the store a call, get the job reference number and give Denon a call yourself and kick up a stink.

I also agree with the point that Manufacturers of quality British designed and made products tend to be far more efficient when handling repairs.

18. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok, i got a phone call today from sevenoaks. aparently, they hadnt sent it back to the shop, they had sent it back to denon because it was irrepariable.

I have been offered a full refund by sevenoaks, or i could take one of their ex demo 2805's. therefore im not gaining anything.

I'm thinking i should take the money and run. although, they are offereing me an AVCA11SR for £999
    what im saying is, should i take the cash (£570) or pay the extra to upgrade?

unless anyone has a better suggestion. ( i will entertain any surround amp)

19. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,393
    Take the money and run, I was in there a couple of weeks ago and saw the ACVA11SR in question....not worth £999 imho, despite it being a good amp.

20. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    A lot less clear cut about who is to blame. Possibly a bit of both?

21. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok, i decided to spend an extra 30 quid and get a harman kardon avr 335.

i directly compared it to the denon 2805 they had in the shop, using the same fronts as mine and the HK just sounded better.
    I used my own music, and reset both amps normal settings before i tried them.

Guess its time to change my sig. :D