• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How long does it take to run in new speakers?

95thRifles

Standard Member
I'm sure this has been asked before, and I have tried doing a forum search but no matter what combination I try I keep getting no results
Just wondering how long you should keep speakers at low volume before nudging up to medium then again onto loud? Got some new speakers and I dont want to "pop" them, probably wrong terminology I know. Or am I not understanding it right? As I understand it if you use new speakers on loud volume too soon you risk damaging them, is this correct? I'm not too bothered about run in for optimal sound, just to prevent any damage

Thanks all

The Atheist

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I have tried doing a forum search but no matter what combination I try I keep getting no results
Just wondering how long you should keep speakers at low volume before nudging up to medium then again onto loud? Got some new speakers and I dont want to "pop" them, probably wrong terminology I know. Or am I not understanding it right? As I understand it if you use new speakers on loud volume too soon you risk damaging them, is this correct? I'm not too bothered about run in for optimal sound, just to prevent any damage

Thanks all
Tends to vary by speaker but if you allow around 24 hrs of running in at a low volume you should be fine.

Medrep1

Taken from my B&W owners manual, they say that around 15 hours is all thats needed to break in new speakers, although some people report up to a month.

Then they go on to say that it is more likely they are becoming used to the sound and extra detail (hopefully) they are giving you over your older ones.

Who am I to disagree:D

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Sonus Faber undertake 100 hours at high volume for their higher range products.

I would say give them a good few hours a day for a few weeks to get most of the break in. I would be tempted to play a CD on repeat whilst at home, just to get a few extra hours on them ;)

johnnyutah

Standard Member
Just got some speakers yesterday from Richer Sounds. She told me to run them in for 48 hours before cracking them up.

They've been running for maybe 7 hours now at no more than medium volume but there's some crackle on the midrange out of both channels.

Is this normal? Is this what should be sorted out by running them in? Or have i blown them?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom