How long does it take on tube: London Paddington to London Kings Cross

p1tse

Prominent Member
Reaction score
trying to plan a train journey and see how much time i get between each change, as I don't really know where I am going

thanks

example from trainline.co.uk

Depart Arrive Travel by Train company Duration
06:01Bristol Parkway
07:32London Paddington
Train FIRST GREAT WESTERN 01h 31
08:45London Kings Cross
Tube n/a 01h 13
08:45London Kings Cross
10:25Kings Lynn
Train FIRST CAPITAL CONNECT 01h 40

I assume it doesn't take 01h 13 as the Departure time for connecting train is the time it states I arrive!?

About 15 minutes, allow 5 extra for getting trapped by tourists

Home | Transport for London <- use journey planner

What you have done above is exclude the tube. Which is fine and all but not advisable

sorry the above isn't clear the n/a above is company

it should state
08:45London Kings Cross via Tube

So would get there by around 8am which would leave at least 30mins to find the connecting train at Kings Cross which is plenty.

Are tube lines scheduled?

If you are going by tube I would give 25 mins. Change at Baker Street for the Metropolitan line and then that will take you to Kings Cross.

If you are going by tube I would give 25 mins. Change at Baker Street for the Metropolitan line and then that will take you to Kings Cross.

I'm not a seasoned London commuter but looking at the map don't the Hammersmith and Circle lines connect Paddington and Kings Cross directly.

Cheers,

Nigel

I'm not a seasoned London commuter but looking at the map don't the Hammersmith and Circle lines connect Paddington and Kings Cross directly.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes. Paddington underground is a bit weird in that it has a circle line and a Hammersmith & City line platform (rather than both lines arriving at the same one) so you need to hedge your bets a bit. The new "circle" schedule (which isn't a circle at all) means that trains tend to stop at Edgeware Road for longer than usual. With this in mind, 20-25 minutes should be allowed but it is perfectly possible to go faster if you are lucky.

Cheers,

Nigel
Yes, but you have to be careful. The Circle Line isn't a circle anymore, so don't go to the District/Circle platform, or you'll have to change at Edgware Road.

Go to the Hammersmith Metropolitan Line platform, where you can get a Circle or Metro Line train to Kings X.

As others have said, journey time about 15 minutes, plus waiting for the train. 30 minutes should be plenty.

If you have a smartphone p1tse I believe there are some apps linked into the Underground system in real time that can tell you if you need to leg it down the stairs PDQ because a train is about to arrive. Anyone used them? Do you get a 3G signal underground?

If you have a smartphone p1tse I believe there are some apps linked into the Underground system in real time that can tell you if you need to leg it down the stairs PDQ because a train is about to arrive. Anyone used them?

I do (as I am in London most weekdays). I use Tube Deluxe for iPhone which is excellent.

Do you get a 3G signal underground?

No- but Paddington's Circle and Hammersmith platforms aren't underground :smashin:.

:facepalm: Doh!! Silly me :laugh:

Paddington has two tube stations, one at each end of the station. You will need the Hammersmith & City and Circle line station, this is at the western end of the station. That is the end in the direction that trains come from. You do not want the tube station at the eastern end - concourse end of the station. That is the end where the train stops. To get to the correct tube station you go back down the platform that your train will have come in on and up some stairs at the end to a walkway over the tracks. Turn right and the correct tube station is at the end.
It's all signposted but not very well as there is a lot of building work going on at the moment.

I do this journey several times a week. Getting from Paddington to Kings X takes a bit over 10 minutes but you can wait 15 minutes for one to turn up. If you go this route you will not need to change tube trains anywhere despite what earlier posters say. It is a direct route and you can take any east bound train at this station.

Last edited:
...that can tell you if you need to leg it down the stairs PDQ because a train is about to arrive
Absolutely no point when tube trains arrive every few minutes. The suits that do that end up looking silly

Think this is the suggested route when I looked online but then it gave times to find escalators, platforms and now thinking a direct one would be better

Will have to look at above recommendations a bit more as well confused from a non londoner

Yes Paddington is on the brown.

Kings Cross can be accessed from a variety of lines and yes it is the one showing Kings Cross and St Pancras on the map. It can be accessed for any of the following lines

Victoria (light blue)

Piccadilly (dark blue)

Northern (black)

Metropolitan (purple) this is the line relevant for your travel arrangements

Hammersmith and City (pink)

Circle (Yellow)

Last edited:
I make this journey fairly regularly - just under 15 minutes. I tend to take Hammersmith and Circle.

Jump in a taxi.

on the map what are the symbols of black round and line i.e. at paddington it joins:
Hammersmith and City (pink)
Circle (Yellow)
And
Green and Yellow?

Can I not take the Hammersmith and City (pink), looks direct?

taking:
Metropolitan (purple) this is the line relevant for your travel arrangements , means Paddington - Baker Street (change) - Metropolitan (purple)?

Also on the Map Kings Cross looks confusing, but do all those lines with the disable symbol stop at Kings Cross?

Feel like a real muppet. Wouldn't usually think about it, as I'm happy to just go with the flow, but with a connecting train waiting for me, I want to make sure I know what i'm doing.

I make this journey fairly regularly - just under 15 minutes. I tend to take Hammersmith and Circle.

Jump in a taxi.

Why do you jump in a taxi, does the tube not take you to Kings Cross?

The black lines with circles are points where are interchange points between other lines/stations. For example at Paddington when you get off you can walk to the hammersmith and city line.

I was suggesting you change at baker street and get the metropolitan line - that is one option. However once you get off at Paddington it would be quicker to walk to Paddington tube on the hammersmith and city line and get the tube straight to kings cross St pancras. This saves you an unnecessary change. Apologies for not suggesting this at first.

Last edited:
The black lines with circles are points where are interchange points between other lines/stations. For example at Paddington when you get off you can walk to the hammersmith and city line.

I was suggesting you change at baker street and get the metropolitan line - that is one option. However once you get off at Paddington it would be quicker to walk to Paddington tube on the hammersmith and city line and get the tube straight to kings cross St pancras. This saves you an unnecessary change. Apologies for not suggesting this at first.

thanks for clarifying. think i'll go for that option direct using hammersmith and city line.

why has the above person mentioned taxi? does it not stop directly at kings cross rail station?

to clarify the hammersmith and city line, where does it stop in-between?

Don't forget to take one of those hand held battery fans.
It's very hot and very smelly on the tube ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom