1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long do you think before TiVo quit the UK?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by sharon, Jul 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. sharon

sharon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking to set up a friend with TiVo as a stop-gap before he gets an 'all-singing, all dancing' B&O hard disk recorder (which I think will be based around Sky+)... BUT he questioning the future of TiVo in the UK and I can see why...

1. Seems like all plans/rumours about another TiVo box making it here have dried up now
    2. Sky+ is simply storming ahead in numbers
    3. Contacting TiVo is pretty damn impossible unless you are buying a subscription....

So how long do you think it will be guys? Is it still worth buying a lifetime subsciption for £200?

Sharon

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Join the VERY long queue of people asking how long TiVo will last in the UK! :nono:

TiVo have promised that they will continue to support the units. After all the EPG is created in the USA, by the same company that does the EPG for the USA. Customer Service in the UK is handled by Sky. Therefore what is there for TiVo to stop supporting? Obviously there are no guarentees, but I think my money is safe.

Rumors of a new box are just that. TiVo have said that they are activly looking for a new manufacturer for a series 2 box, but nothing has been set.

Sky+ is growing in numbers, but there is plenty of room for more than 1 PVR in the UK, and many consumers have both Sky+ & TiVo. Most that do have both say that the TiVo software is far better than Sky+.

Well when TiVo was launched Sky did not have a PVR on the market. Now that they do and are also handling CS for TiVo its no real surprise that CS is not up to scratch! :devil:

So coming to the end of my rant........

I believe that TiVo will still have supported boxes in the UK for as long as there are a reasonable amount of working units to support. Therefore if you think that you will have a TiVo still working after 20 months, then a lifetime sub is VERY good value for money. If not then pay monthly.

Take a look at the TiVo forum at www.tivocommunity.com and see exactly how often this has been asked, and everything else TiVo.

Mark.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    It's possible Tivo might find a new home in combo HDD/DVDR units. Pioneer (DVD-RW/-R) has a similar unit in the US although has "no plans" for a UK release, and Toshiba (DVD-RAM/-R) is mooting such a device. There is a degree of pressure on these companies to make their products more user friendly so it might happen - but nothing anywhere near certain yet though.