1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long do you think before HD becomes common place?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stampax, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Clearly Hi Def is something that has already started happening in this country, but not in a big way yet (apart from a few very keen people with alot of know how/money).
    How long do you think it will be before it starts to become very common/acessible to the masses?
    I cant see it happening for at least another two years - in the next 12 months sky will start broadcasting hi def but will charge so much for it only very few will realisticly go for it.
    Perhaps when the PS3 is released things will get kick started, and maybe 12 months after that HD will be the word?

2. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky will charge £10 a month for it for their customers who pay for their full service. It is fantasy that Sky will be charging the earth, they manage that with their standard service :smashin:

The box will be a kicker at £400, but it is a Sky+ too. take this into account and look at the price of stand alone Sat HD boxes and this doesn't seem so bad. They'll soon drop to the £199 price point.

3. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    £400 for a new box (I already have a sky plus box) and ten pound a month IS crazy money, no chance i'll ever pay that - and im sure joe public will feel the same.

4. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    a sub shouldnt cost ya anymore than the sub for the sd stuff, transponder space isnt an issue when using h.264
    They can make a few quid on the recievers but i would much rather spend the money on a reciever capable of multi sat reception, dreamboxHD or any other hd able reciever with a CI slot and a dragon cam :thumbsup:

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Amazing, if you read that and don't know anything about Hi-Def or Sat tv it IS a whole new language. :rotfl:

6. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe public will be running for their cheuqe books :)

7. Tiesto

Tiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have both the dreambox 7020 and 7000s m8 and Hi deff is a no no on these stb's .
    The Skystar pci cards are OK though , if you have a decent high spec processor and good graphics card. :D

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Can't the Dreamboxes be used to stream HD broadcasts to a PC for display though? AIUI this was how some of the first viewers for Euro1080 (now HD-1) received it... Sure the STB doesn't output HD - but it is possible to stream it via the SCSI or Ethernet outputs?

9. Tiesto

Tiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just fired up tuxvision and no video off either Dreambox.!
    I'll try another little proggy in a mo and let you know. :smashin:

10. Tiesto

Tiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well the answer is NO , for me anyhow.
    I can't stream the source off any Hi deff channel on any of the five sats currently showing clips and concerts.

The SS1 pci card is handling it fine , :D just seen another advert from Premiere (19 east) saying that they are to transmit fully on there Hd film channel from November THIS YEAR :D :thumbsup:
    The world cup will be exclusively in HD in 2006 on Premiere, better learn my German quick . :eek:

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I think Premiere mean they will be the only German HD broadcasters of the World Cup - not the only global HD broadcaster. There may be other HD broadcasters outside of Germany who have rights to the World Cup...

12. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Ah - I've read a number of reports of people happily streaming HD from their Dreamboxes, as well as recording the HD streams to their Dreambox hard drives and then exporting the recordings to their PCs and processing them to generate MPEG2 programme stream files.

13. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Call me Joe! As long as the content is half reasonable I'll happily upgrade my Sky+ (3 years old now) at £400 and pay £10 a month extra for high definition pictures.

And in an Xbox 360 and I'll be in HD heaven. I'm hoping for American football and maybe baseball as well as the premiership from day one, the American commentators are always pushing the fact the output is available in HD and I expect Sky to use this to increase the volume of HD output they can offer. At least I can dream..... :lease:

I've yet to decide which TV to buy to watch all this output, leaning towards a DLP of some sort due to picture burn issues with plasma screens.

So little time, so many new toys... :devil:

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Since existing Sky receivers can't do a SD rendition of h.264, transponder space WILL be an issue, because there will have to be a separate transponder for SD and HD services, and transponder leasing costs money.