1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Long Do I Wait

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by asimmd, Jun 20, 2005.

1. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All
    Several threads recently have made the comment that the next generation Panasonics will be better specced and, best of all cheaper than the current PV500.

If these sets are due around September,then I don't mind waiting,the problem is that everyone who has bought a PV500 will very quickly find their set is out of date,so the question is,do I join the PV500 club now,or wait for the next gen.

I know I could wait forever,as there will always be something new and better? round the corner,so does it make sense to wait a couple of months,or buy now.

Regards
    Alan

2. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    "I know I could wait forever,as there will always be something new and better?"

Of course, there's always something better just round the corner...you'll never buy one if you think like that ;)

3. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quite true.........the Panasonic 8 series panels and the new Pioneer plasmas will be out sometimes between August and October.

4. marc777

marc777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without this forum I would have bought a PV500 this weekend. Persoanlly I shall play a "wait and see" but I seriosuly envy those who do have the PV500 - A wonderful looking piece of kit.

5. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's worth pointing out that the 'new' Panasonic panels arriving later this year will NOT be direct competition for the PV500 series, as they will lack inbuilt tuner, speaker, SD slots and built-in connections (these have to be purchased separately as plug-in modules). The new Pioneer WILL compete more directly, but there is no sign that it will take Panasonic on in terms of absolute black levels...

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yeah, but wait 'till you see the PV700 :eek: :devil: :rolleyes: :cool: ;)

7. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you can wait it means you don't need it. That would save you lots. Hold off.

8. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I already know that I need a 37in PV500,I even had a demo in our local dealer on Saturday.
    My queery is,if the new panels are going to be significantly better,then August/September isn't that long to wait however,I am seriously envious with all you guys who already have one,and now I've seen them in the flesh,it just makes me want one even more.

Regards
    Alan

9. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    QUOTE "Yeah, but wait 'till you see the PV700 "

Yeah but you could wait for the PV2100 in 20 yrs time which features interactive laser beams which shoot the kids after they have walked in front of screen for the tenth time .

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Precisely ! :) I don't know if a PV700 exists, or ever will, but you can be sure that there's always a better model just around the corner :D

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    The panel is the same 8th gen employed in the PV500 as will be the HD8 in circa August time.

Panasonic have chosen to give priority to the consumer panel before the commercial panel that's all.

The PV500 is a fully fledged IDTV, the HD8 is a no frills monitor panel. The former is Pannys incarnation of how it should all come together, the latter is an ingredient for you to muster your own home brew AV system.

12. BigGanja

BigGanja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    this is, generally, so very true

at the same time though It's never a good idea getting ANY electronic product at release, especially if as expensive as a plasma.....IMHO

on top of that, we're talking about 2-3 monts, not that big deal really, and It's now summer ;)

13. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So true BG.
    I am going to wait a little longer (next year) i already have a 505 xde.
    Not happy with recpetion on sky etc though.

The new sets released later this year or early next will have 2 or 3 hd inputs as this will become commonplace to add the extra goodies we buy.
    Who wants to buy a hdmi switcher which will probably lose pq and will add to the ever increasing remote controls :suicide:

Theres nowt to watch hd yet ( unless you watch peole walking around shopping on euro 1080) :)

When hd is launched proper ,the market will be flooded with plasma's that will be 100% compatible with hd that is being broadcast.

If you can i would wait, its not a case of if you dont buy now you will never buy,
    its a case of if you buy a hd set you might just regret it :oops: