How long could you voluntarily be without AVF?

• Thread starter Deleted member 30535
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30535

I've just had two weeks off work (hardly a holiday as I was catching up on a number of jobs about the house), and I wondered how long I could avoid accessing AVF at all. Well, prior to today, my last post and access was the 9th April, so almost two weeks. Initially it was hard not to flick open my favourite links, but it soon passed. Not sure what I hoped to achieve, just a curious exercise given the amount of time I normally spend in here!

What's the longest you've not been on AVF (excluding "enforced" absence say when overseas where there was no internet access possible)? Could you voluntarily "give up" AVF for two weeks (no access at all, even as a "guest")?

Two weeks is not an uncommon annual break for me as we often holiday with the family without any internet access.

Hi Bob! Welcome to the group ;)

I think if I had internet access and I tried to abstain from using it I don't think I could hold out long.

But if I didn't have internet access, I think I would miss it at first but after a few days wouldn't be bothered.

Most of the summer holidays I go on, I don't have internet access and it never seems a problem. Of course I back on it as soon as I return.

Cheers,

Nigel

I think if I had internet access and I tried to abstain from using it I don't think I could hold out long.

But if I didn't have internet access, I think I would miss it at first but after a few days wouldn't be bothered.

Most of the summer holidays I go on, I don't have internet access and it never seems a problem. Of course I back on it as soon as I return.

Cheers,

Nigel

Same as for me, except we mostly do have Internet access on breaks.

I managed to do almost two weeks on the last holiday. I kept getting the emails to say a new post report but forced myself to stay off it. It wasn't too bad in the end.

Cheers,

Nigel

True. I've been on a number of two week hols where there's been no internet access, and it was no big deal mainly because I was doing something new and different. I wanted to see whether I could abstain from AVF and how difficult it would be. I succumbed today!

Forever. As much as I like forums, when I stop reading one for a while I can forget all about it. Doesn't mean I wouldn't miss some of the people, banter and chat but at the end of the day it's just a forum.

I imagine I'd be asked about the work I was supposed to be doing after more than a week logged off. The longest I did was three weeks not long after I joined in 2003 as I was getting the house ready to live in.

Usually I go without my fix when I'm on my summer holidays but even then I have to tear myself away from cocktails around the pool to catch uo with AVF on the communal internet.

Desmo said:
Forever. As much as I like forums, when I stop reading one for a while I can forget all about it. Doesn't mean I wouldn't miss some of the people, banter and chat but at the end of the day it's just a forum.

+1

It's interesting, and also useful sometimes, but I can't in all honesty say I'd be overly bothered if it disappeared.

For some forums seem to be a way of life, something they are 'sucked' into and they cannot leave it alone. It then becomes a habit and spend increasing number of hours flicking from one thread to another and finally they go mad.

Mad, I tell you, MAD.

:eek:

For some forums seem to be a way of life, something they are 'sucked' into and they cannot leave it alone. It then becomes a habit and spend increasing number of hours flicking from one thread to another and finally they go mad.

Mad, I tell you, MAD.

It can take a person over if they aren't careful.

But during a hard day at AV Forums I try to have several 'work breaks' a day. Its important to strike a balance :).

Hi guys
My name is Andy and it's been 7 hours since my last post...
(People applauding in the back ground)
"Well done Andy"
Thanks guys your support is what keeps me strong.....
(Another round of applause )

It's a long road ahead but with the support of friends and family I CAN KICK THE HABBIT..........

Hi guys
My name is Andy and it's been 7 hours since my last post...
(People applauding in the back ground)
"Well done Andy"
Thanks guys your support is what keeps me strong.....
(Another round of applause )

It's a long road ahead but with the support of friends and family I CAN KICK THE HABBIT..........

Probably best if the support group doesn't meet on avforums :)

"Hi! It's been five hours since my last post!"
"Oh wait - now it says three seconds :("

I had a 3 month hiatus back in December 2009. This is a nice site to browse although, were it to disappear tomorrow, there are thousands of other sites out there that would fill the void.

Mad, I tell you, MAD.

I have no idea what you mean, see you in another thread. :)

I was in china in 2005 for two months without internet access, so was not on av forums or anywhere else over that period.

I'm quite surprised by some of the comments. When I use a Forum, I like to get to know the members, I like to build up a rapport with people so that they become virtual friends.

To stop visiting a forum and to snub out friendships, is something I wouldn't want to do and I think it's a shame for people to stop using a forum without a second thought as it means they aren't really properly involved in the community, they are just a number.

I'm quite surprised by some of the comments. When I use a Forum, I like to get to know the members, I like to build up a rapport with people so that they become virtual friends.

To stop visiting a forum and to snub out friendships, is something I wouldn't want to do and I think it's a shame for people to stop using a forum without a second thought as it means they aren't really properly involved in the community, they are just a number.

:love:

:D

Probably best if the support group doesn't meet on avforums :)

"Hi! It's been five hours since my last post!"
"Oh wait - now it says three seconds :("

Yeah I suppose it's a bit like an AA meeting in a pub;)

Agree, I have met quite a few from here in real life and they're (mostly :devil:) good people. I think the old school mentality still exists with a lot of people though, they have an underlying view that having "computer friends" is nerdy and means you can't function in the real world, whereas in fact it's just an extension to the real world.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom