1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long before antibiotics work ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by spocktra, Jul 13, 2005.

1. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Have been given a course of antibiotics for a nasty case of tonsillitis.Started on monday morning and although i am able to swallow now[just].My glands are like a couple of rugby balls and im not able to clear the mucus from my throat.Any docs out there?

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    Not being a doctor, but I would say 2 days is not long enough for them to cure you although they will have started work already. And what ever you do complete the course of medication, not stop as soon as the symptoms go.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    the times i've had antibiotics, they don't really start working till the course its almost up. it's annoying taking medicine for days or weeks without anything happening, but then all of a sudden it seems to clear up with about 2 or 3 days to go.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like your own body defences are doing pretty well. Sometimes the anti-biotics do more to prevent secondary infections than to fight the main one. Your body is already fighting the infection if you have those symptoms, so hang on in there ! :)

5. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for the replies ,my wife was up for another trip to the doctors.Looks like another few days with my feet up [and the british open starts tomorrow] :)

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    You should at least have started to feel better after a couple of days.
    I'd say if there is no improvement in the next 24 hours, get an alternative anti-biotic.

I had a very serious dose of tansillitis a few years ago that neither Penicilin, nor amoxicillin would shift. I was about to be referred to the ENT unit until they tried Distaclor..... 2 days later I felt on the road to recovery.

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    FINISH THE FULL COURSE OF THE ANTIBIOTIC YOU HAVE!!!!! :lesson:

One of the reasons we have stronger and tougher viruses each year is because people give up their courses halfway through. Not all of the bugs are killed and those that survive build up a resistance to the current drugs next time.

The human race could be on the way to mass extinction from a real superbug that evolves out of what we can still fight today - unless you finish your course of antibiotics. ;)

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    They will start working a couple of hours after taking them but you may not notice the benefit of them until a good few days into the course - longer if the infection is particularly bad.

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Antibiotics are germ-killers, not pain killers. Just because you are still feeling pain does not mean that they are not working. Drink plenty of fluids (especially in this heat). There is a throat lozenge that you can get from the chemist which has a mild local-anaesthetic effect - they're called Tyrozets - they work for me when I have a sore throat*.

*Always consult your chemist re suitability if you are already taking other drugs !

10. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    They have kicked in nicely now.Feel 100% better got about 3 days of tablets to go.Trust me throat sweets of any kind dont come close to a good dose of tonsillitis.Might still have tomorrow off and watch the golf all day. :devil: