How long before an image burns in?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by RXY, Sep 16, 2004.

1. RXY

RXY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure we've all fallen asleep infront of the TV, forgetting to switch it off, whilst something static sits there on the screen burning away :blush:

But how long does it take before something permanently becomes burnt onto the screen?

2. pmccreight

pmccreight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not worry.....by the time you wake up the thing will be out of date and nobody would be seen dead with the dam thing.
    Just simply unplug it and put it long ways into a wheely bin!

3. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Havent you got bored of trolling yet? Ok, so you arent a fan of plasmas - why post rubbish in the plasma forum then? Its supposed to be for useful help and advice, all youre doing is creating negativity.

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It takes a long time to get permanent burn - I've used a PC on my plasma for 4-5 hours at a time and I do get static image retention but it goes after a few minutes with full screen video.

John

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,851
    RXY: If it's an LCD then never.

If it's a Plasma, then there are too many variables for a definitive answer: how bright is the static signal and how high is the contrast set; how good is your visual acuity? In truth, burn-in begins immediately, but the deterioration of the phosphors is so minimal as to render it wholly invisible; at some point that difference becomes visible. The point is determined in part by the sight of the person seeing (or not seeing) it. So, there's no absolute point in time (even for a given brightness) when it starts - except to say, straight away.

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Ive had my fujitsu

http://www.fujitsugeneral.co.jp/jpn/products/personal/pdp/lineup/p42hhs30js.html

plasma for a few months and I was paranoid to begin with, but ive been using it carefuly, always making sure not to leave the same channel on for too long
    (as the channels logo can burn in too. ie BBC1)

I always make sure to strech the picture so as not to get black borders which will also burn in.
    And finaly give the TV a rest after a few hours! Saves power and your eye sight too!

So far so good!

My last TV was ruined by a game called PSO. The character stats burnt in permanently!
    So never play RPGs that have character stats in the corner constantly!

As long as you take care it will last forever! There are also some functions like white screen (on my plasma anyway) that help to get rid of any marks that may be left over.