How long before 50" 1080P plasma's available for around £1500

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I have been looking for a 50 inch plasma and have a budget of £1200/1500, at the moment 720p/1080i sets are available in quite a few makes for this sort of price.

We are on the verge of 1080P comming out but a 50" is going to be a lot more than £2000.When do you think that a 50" 1080P is going to be available for around £1500 and is it really worth waiting for?.

Do I buy now and get the best I can for around £1200 or wait for 1080P,but at my budget of £1500 ish, is my wait going to be 6 months or 1-2 yrs.

I don't/won't have sky hd so will be watching freeview and buying a hd dvd/blueray player later this year.I will be getting a hdtv source once sky or virgin increase their hd output(how long thats going to be god knows).

So what do you think, buy now or wait(how long),If I buy the set now I won't want to replace it for at least 5 yrs.

pjskel

I'd be very surprised if this coming PZ700 would manage to drop to £1500. Maybe £1800 by this time next year, when the 8 series is launching.
Assuming the PZ800 launches at £2000-2200, then there's every chance it would be £1500 in 6-8 months after release. So that'd be around Dec/Jan 2008/2009.
I could be way off the mark, but that's my prediction.

An alternative to your thoughts is buy a PX70 42" for £850 ish now, and sit it out for the next 2-3 years, by which time, it'll owe you nothing.
You'll still get something for the panel on ebay or classifieds here.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Sorry but a 42" set is out of the question as I have a 46" rear pro at the momment and want to go up in size not down.:)

I wonder if its worth looking at LCD, there will be 50"+ sizes available soon at around £1500.I know motion blur/blacks and freeview quality is not currently up to plasma standards but they maybe/or close with models due out in the next few months.

MAW

Banned
what you need to ask yourself is 'why am I looking at 1080P and do I need it?' 8 out of 10 owners can't see the difference at their viewing distance. You need to be within 8ft of a 50" to even begin to see the extra detail over a 768 panel, and about 5ft to really make it all out. I think those prices are highly optimistic, 1080p is going to be a premium product for some time to come. You may have beed seeing too much Sony LCD marketing crap. The LCDs themselves do not bear thinking about, loads of problems, franky they stink.

rajmak

Standard Member
what you need to ask yourself is 'why am I looking at 1080P and do I need it?' 8 out of 10 owners can't see the difference at their viewing distance. You need to be within 8ft of a 50" to even begin to see the extra detail over a 768 panel, and about 5ft to really make it all out. I think those prices are highly optimistic, 1080p is going to be a premium product for some time to come. You may have beed seeing too much Sony LCD marketing crap. The LCDs themselves do not bear thinking about, loads of problems, franky they stink.

In your opinion does this also apply to people who want to buy 1080p screens to watch Blu Ray/HD DVD movies?

pjskel

You can still watch and enjoy BR/HD-DVD movies on regular HD panels.
The current push for 1080p is marketing rather than performance oriented.
For some, bigger numbers means better full stop.
Remove HD movies from the equation, and you have a lot of pixels to upscale (often times) a poor bitrate SD broadcast, so the picture may look decidedly ropey by comparison. This is the overlooked point people forget when discussing 1080p native panels.

Price is also another stumbling block - but even to those whom it isn't, they probably won't have seen a Fujitsu (£3.3K) regular HD panel, which is reckoned to be the dog's danglies, and they're only familiar with the Pioneer 507 currently.

In all honesty, 1080p is about 18-24 months from being worth really contemplating unless you've already bought into BR/HD-DVD standalone players, although it will be interesting to see what Pioneer spring upon us in the shape of the 508 Full HD panel and BR player making use of the 1080p24 they're making some noise about.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
In your opinion does this also apply to people who want to buy 1080p screens to watch Blu Ray/HD DVD movies?

I think that's the main audience MAW is talking about.

For people who just want to watch SD on a big screen, going 1080p is nonsense.

Well whether visually a 720p screen can be differentiated from a 1080p screen is irrelevant I would have thought.

I want a 1080p because it has the greatest potential. Whether I need it is another matter. I definitely am not going to pay for a 720p Plasma if 1080p will be the norm in they next few years which I believe it will (720p thus becoming a thing of the past). People dont buy Ferraris because they need to get from 0-100 mph in under 10 secs everyday on their way to work.

Like the original OP I am waiting till 1080p becomes more mainstream with most 50" TV's coming in at £1000 ish. Why there are 720p TVs available I really dont know. Its bad enough with the HD DVD vs Blueray debacle but now with 720p vs 1080p as well the HD era is becoming a shambles.

50" TVs and 1080p should have been the standard from the start for HD TV.
42" and 46" TVs looks so small nowadays that they look out of place even in a small house (IMHO).

Nomino

Banned
Like the original OP I am waiting till 1080p becomes more mainstream with most 50" TV's coming in at £1000 ish. Why there are 720p TVs available I really dont know. Its bad enough with the HD DVD vs Blueray debacle but now with 720p vs 1080p as well the HD era is becoming a shambles.

42" and 46" TVs looks so small nowadays that they look out of place even in a small house (IMHO).
I agree on the whole shambles thing, but HDTVs should have been 50" and 1080p from the start..several years ago...??? Blimey, are you dumb? Sorry, but how much do you think that would have cost? You are already moaning at the price of 50" 1080p panels right now...

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Personally I would be sticking with the bargains that can be had on the 768p screens. From distance they are barely indistinguishable. Move closer, and/or improve the source material to HD and better processed SD and you will see the difference, but it has cost you to do so. If you are the kind of person that is going to wait a year to save 400 quid then you are the same person that is a lot better off just enjoying the cheaper 768p screen in the first place. If you are happy to pay the premium (which by the title of this thread you aren't) then you aren't missing a great deal. Especially if you haven't got quality SD processing and a LOT of HD source to keep you happy. The only variable is cost, if it all cost the same of course 1080p, but if you're stretching to do it then reconsider. You could distribute your budget to better quality sources and audio side of things and have a more satisfying overall setup, 768p is more than enough for 50".

The grass is always greener........

Tejstar

Distinguished Member

Personally, I think anything over 46" starts to look overbearing in a lounge. I'd love ot have a decent PJ setup though.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Liam

Thanks for the input,I currently have no Hd source material and initially would be watching sd material via Humax 9200 & dvd.I would like to get a hd source but feel at the moment that the content on offer from Sky/Virgin is limited and await an improvement in their output rather than currently paying £20-£40 per month for the odd programme I would wish to watch.

So in the short term my Hd viewing would be via hd dvd/blu ray when a combi player is released later this year.

I used to be an early adopter, which has cost me thousands over the years and now prefer to wait a little time before buying in order not to fritter away my hard earned.

I appreciate that my current viewing sources would not get the best from a 1080p tv but I am looking to the future(next 1-2 yrs)with my proposed purchase, when we should have far more hd content on offer.

If the difference between 768p and 1080p was only £400 I would not hesitate in stumping up the extra cash but I think it may be more like a £1000 when the sets come out(at 50" size) and for me the premium is not justified.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom