Question How long are your Fibaro door/window sensors lasting?

DinoKustas

Howdy,

I've got quite a few Fibaro door sensors but I'm having constant trouble with the one on my front door. It feels like the battery either keeps dying, the sensor needs to be reset or the sensor just stops working. Fibaro HC2 doesn't show the sensor as dead, in fact it thinks it's still alive, just not reacting to opens and closures.

So far I've sent a sensor back, replaced batteries, reset the sensor, removed from HC2, readded.. etc. etc.

This is happening every 1-2 months.

All the other door sensors seem fine without issue, so I'm wondering if these door sensors are just not fit for purpose on a front door that is opened and closed several times a day? I have a scene attached to this sensor telling me when the front door is open/closed, is that causing extra load (surely not?)

So, how long are your Fibaro door sensors lasting?

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I don't use any Fibaro door sensors so unfortunately can't comment.

I do however use one of these on my front door and it's been fautless... Door / Window Sensor 6 Gen5 Archives • Aeotec by Aeon Labs
Rechargable battery built in too. Will be my first choice door/window sensor when I need more.

DinoKustas

Thanks, Desmo.

Have you had to charge one yet? If so how long did it last?

What Z-wave controller are you using it with? :)

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I'm using it with a Fibaro HC2. Just had a look and I bought it back in July and think I gave it a topup charge once so far, battery is showing around 50% charge remaining.

Our front door is opened/closed probably 10-20 times a day, the battery seems to last really well. Put it this way, I'd imagine you'll be giving it a recharge every 2-3 months rather than weekly. It mounts on a clip and so slides off easily and there's a micro USB socket on the back for charging...it's really simple.

We have a door/window sensor with a tilt switch attached so gets triggered very often in our demo room (maybe 20 times a day) as we constantly experimenting with it for different purposes.

Had it for about 8 months and showing 70%, are you sure its not another setting youve missed

DinoKustas

The battery doesn't even show as low!

It wasn't working when I came home again, took out battery, put it back in, back alive, but for how long?

What config could even be wrong on this device? All I've done is set an arming delay and turned off the LED.

I'll put screenshots up in a min.

DinoKustas

Pics attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot (37).png
    Screenshot (37).png
    135.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot (38).png
    Screenshot (38).png
    150.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot (39).png
    Screenshot (39).png
    116.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot (40).png
    Screenshot (40).png
    129.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot (41).png
    Screenshot (41).png
    109.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot (42).png
    Screenshot (42).png
    145.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot (43).png
    Screenshot (43).png
    173.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot (44).png
    Screenshot (44).png
    165 KB · Views: 85

DinoKustas

I had the scene disabled for a while before thinking that was draining the battery tbf. No difference.

The scene is a simple push notification when open and another to push when closed.

DinoKustas

Nope.

When I got the replacement sensor I set it up as a new room etc.

What is also odd about this one, and the last, is that regardless of what I do it never sets the alarm sirens off via the alarm panel and so it's had to have its own scene to set off the sirens when armed and triggered.

Just can't understand why the other 4 that I have behave without issue and this is constantly playing up every 1-2months.

chrisfraser05

I have one on my front door, I have it polling for temperature updates every 30 mins.
Battery has later 11 months so far.
It's never missed a beat.

DinoKustas

If I hadn't have not long ago replaced it I would have done so. It's the sensor closest to the HC2 btw so not out of range.

DinoKustas

I'd be surprised if it's a signal issue. The HC2 is a few metres from the front door and it works fine for that 1-2 month period. Can't see why that would suddenly change.

eddiem74

Probably will have no bearing but when was HC2 was last rebooted and what firmware is it running?

DinoKustas

Last rebooted about 2 weeks ago, tried a reboot and that of course made no difference other than to make my scenes play up like they usually do after a reboot.

Latest firmware 4.100

RajP

Distinguished Member
Interestingly, I have had 2 Fibaro door sensors, one at front door and one for the bathroom window for around 4 years now, I have had to replace the battery 3 times now since then.. Have never had any issues with it.. There have been times when the firmware has been pretty dire which has stopped the bathroom window one to stop responding. Apart from that, it just works fine.. And I know the doer one works fine as it is set to switch the hall way light on when the door is opened and light level is low.. So not sure what could be the issue..

DinoKustas

Well yesterday I replaced the battery and reset the sensor.. again.

I've marked it in my calendar, let's see how long it lasts...

DinoKustas

I'm not surprised to say that the sensor started randomly not registering the odd door open close within the past couple of days and as of this morning has not registered anything again.

Battery showing fine. Last wake up it responded. Just not doing open closes.

Looks like I'll be getting another replacement but hoping to swap for different door sensor now. Bit fed up tbh.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp