Question How long do movies stay on at the cinema?

mambo1888

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought my partner and I odeon limitless passes. We were planning to go and see Battle of the Sexes but havent got round to it yet, and I just noticed its coming off at the local Odeons to me this week. I will be able to watch it but my partner wont have time to see it now.

Do films have a certain amount of screen time, and is this available somewhere? We went to see Thor last night as I thought that would be off soon as it was one of the older movies on but thats still on next week. If id known I would have watched Battle of the Sexes last night and Thor next week.

I guess more popular/blockbuster movies will stay on for longer but I cant find much on the Odeon website that shows exactly when movies are being replaced.

Thanks in advance.

4 to 6 weeks depending on popularity.
Thanks, thats what I was thinking. Battle of the Sexes has only been out a couple of weeks thats why I thought it still be on for a couple of weeks.

Might be of interest to you...

Why movies are sometimes here and gone in theaters

The average is 4 weeks but niche films like Battle of the Sexes tend to get only 2-3 weeks on general release, whilst blockbusters like Thor will get 6 or more if they continue to sell plenty of tickets.

Cineworld multiplexes tend to have more screens and thus keep less mainstream movies like this showing for a bit longer than Odeon; hence why I swapped my Limitless pass for Unlimited.

Cheers mate, thats good to know. In future we will think more about what we go and see first, not just based on how long its been out. I came across this website with box office figures, so will keep an eye on how certain movies are doing.

I would rather have gone for Cineworld Unlimited myself, mainly because they work with Meerkat Movies, but our nearest Cineworld is 10+ miles away and I can walk to Odeon in 20 minutes.

I am in a similar situation, as the nearest multiplexes to me are Odeon too. However they only have 6 / 11 screens and I found that they didn’t show a wide enough variety of films for me to get my money’s worth. So ended up switching to Unlimited when Cineworld opened a 17 screen megaplex about 20 minutes drive away.

FWIW, the BFI publish detailed UK box office figures here...

Weekend box office figures

Battle of the Sexes was shown in 464 cinemas on its opening week but down to 389 last week and its box office dropped from £1,191 per site down to £571.

Meanwhile, Thor Ragnarok was still showing in 375 cinemas even after 6 weeks on release and raking in £1,543 per site :smoke:

Last edited:
Cheers for the link. Yeah my Odeon only has 10 screens but as its close enough to walk/cycle (I dont drive) I will get more use out of it. Theres also a few other odeons not too far away that we will goto from time to time. The nearest Cineworld would mean going into Edinburgh which would then add on the cost of public transport (probably about £10 each) or if we drive in with my partner we would need to drive into the centre of Edinburgh which would take 30-40 mins even though its under 15 miles.

I cycled upto the Odeon to watch Battle of the Sexes this afternoon, and it only took 6 minutes which was great. As for the movie, I thought it was alright, maybe a bit slow/boring in parts. Probably not one thats needed to see at the cinema, but then thats the beauty of limitless/unlimited you can go and watch anything without coming out feeling like you just wasted money watching a bad film.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom