How little space above AVC-A1XVA can I get away with for ventilation?

Jules

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AVC-A1XVA will be coming next week.

The amplifier space in my cabinet currently is 330mm high x 500mm wide.
This space is also open at the back and front.

The A1XVA is 280mm high which only leaves 50mm (2") above for it to disperse any heat.

I really don't want to have to attack my cabinet, but if absolutely necessary I could cut a couple of sqaure wholes in the shelf above to give another 2" of clearance at the front and rear. (The centre point of this shef has a cross piece in the middle to add strength, so I can't open it up completely)

So is 2" enough or will it cook itself?

Hmm.. you want as much as possible Jules. The A1XVA runs hot even on idle. Mine gets way hotter than my KA1SE ever did even used as a Processor only.

AVC-A1XVA will be coming next week.

The amplifier space in my cabinet currently is 330mm high x 500mm wide.
This space is also open at the back and front.

The A1XVA is 280mm high which only leaves 50mm (2") above for it to disperse any heat.

I really don't want to have to attack my cabinet, but if absolutely necessary I could cut a couple of sqaure wholes in the shelf above to give another 2" of clearance at the front and rear. (The centre point of this shef has a cross piece in the middle to add strength, so I can't open it up completely)

So is 2" enough or will it cook itself?

Congratulation Jules on your upcoming purchase,you won't be dissapointed on the machine hopefully it should last you a long time.You will have plenty of inputs to choose from.With all this new hd stuff the amp handles it extremely well.

Hmm.. you want as much as possible Jules. The A1XVA runs hot even on idle. Mine gets way hotter than my KA1SE ever did even used as a Processor only.

Hmm, interesting that Jase's amp runs hot on idle. Maybe it's because he is in Spain, but here in the UK with an ambient temp at around 20deg C, the top plate is just barely warm on idle, with 5 channel amplifiers connected. Obviously when playing loud and 'bassy' music it will get hot though !
I do have several inches of space all around it, btw.
I may take a temperature reading and report back, after it's been on a while..

Ambient temp at the moment is about 23ºc. Summer is a different kettle of fish altogether. Aircon is a must and that blasts down and across straight at the Amp. Be pretty much impossible to use the Amp without it.

I've had an idea.

I didn't fancy the idea of dismantling everything, unscrewing the cabinet and attacking the middle shelf with a jigsaw.
Firstly because of the time and risk of ruining it, and secondly because it might weaken it considerably.

So, I thought of drilling lots and lots of largish holes in the shelf above.
Even if I have to drill 100 of them, it would be much easier because I could do it without dismantling the cabinet.

What do you think?

ok, I did a trial 'hole' test on some spare wood I had.
Unfortunately I don't think it was a good idea because it is impossible to rid the holes completely of splinters / dust which might accumulate inside the amp.

So, I've completely rebuilt my cabinet.
I couldn't increase the overall height, but I've been able to shorten the upper tier and extend the lower tier. (I'm now more grateful than ever that I made my own cabinet in the first place)

The new space for the amplifier to fit into is now 400mm high, giving it almost 5" clearance. Should be enough I think.

Just need that call from my dealer now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom