1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How limited are 'limited edition'

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Julie Winston, Feb 12, 2003.

?
  1. It's a con

37 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. It' s worth the extra

13 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. I buy on price & region

28 vote(s)
    33.7%
  4. I take no notice

11 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Julie Winston

Julie Winston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there really a restriction on the number of limited editions DVDs sold. Is this just a marketing ply to pursuade the punter to buy another copy. I know some have extra footage or even - wait for it - special menus & extras but is it really worth it?

I have trouble believing that Mr Brown is going to have a greater value than Mr Pink when it comes to flogging your spent DVDs in ten years time.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when they are special editions then they're ok.

its when the Special Edition becomes a Collectors Edition which then morphs into an Ultimate Edition which then transmogrifies :)eek: ) into an Extreme Edition - thats when its a con.

Also how can you call the first release of a movie a Special Edition. One of the first disks I got was Contact SE. no extras or anything. If any film deserves a special edition - this is it.

3. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still have a silver, very rare, MIB 2 discer going for the right price.......

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....The thread you are reffering to was MIB, not MIIB.....very funny, I'll try and find it.

Edit - can't find it but remember it well. Someone was trying to sell the 2 disc MIB for about 30 quid on the proviso that the person who sold it to him told him it was a limited edition and highly collectable. Someone then posted a link to Play - who were selling it for £9.99!! The guy had paid a lot more than that IIRR....Was it you??

5. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I suppose its mostly to do with how much you like extra features, most of the time im not all that bothered, but Aliens on the other hand, mmmm........

6. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    its all a big con - they'll keep producing them while the demand is there.

a good example of a 'not-so' limited edition thing (though not a DVD), was an original run of 2500 statues of a character from a popular film. The producers then went on to say that 'due to popular demand', another 2000 would be made.

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you really think about it, every product ever made is a 'limited edition' by definition.

8. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did someone really try and shift that MIB silver thing? I never saw this, but was moved by its recent reapperance in Woolies.

I also bought the Saving Private Ryan LTD Edition. R1. Nothing LTD about it except it has no DTS?

They are often a con, but its the ones you dont expect that end up being worth more. I remember seeing a box full of sealed Salo Criterions and only getting the one when I should have bought fifty.

9. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't "limited edition" marketing-speak for "limited appeal"..?

10. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think you will find that it was Stuart Wright who was trying to sell that DVD - the thread seems to have been deleted now! :rotfl:

Some 'limited' dvds are just that - I tried to get the Akira Tin when it was released, but despite pre-ordering with three companies I still didn't get it! :mad: Others however are just a joke! The MIB one is just a mickey take by Columbia Tristar - any "limited dvd" which appears in the sale two months later is hardly worth getting! :rolleyes:

What's the rarest dvd you guys own? I don't really have any rare ones - maybe a couple of criterions or a an odd dvd in alternate digipack packaging, but that is about it. I have just ordered the R1 WickerMan Box from DVD Pacific (£12), so fingers crossed! ;)

11. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They can be annoying as well, esp if decent versions of films suddenly dissapear, such as the nice 2 disc Army of Darkness thing. I saw that when new as well, and thought, nah, get it some other time.

12. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    It annoys me when a movie just released on DVD comes packaged as special edition as they dont have another version to compare it with to make it special, one day i will ring and ask for the normal version as opposed to the special ;)

13. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    CERTAIN limited edition titles are worth the extra and ARE NOT a con.

However I will say that there isn't a great deal about on the UK R2 market (Men In Black being a good example of a pretty poor "limited edition"). Most of the limited editions I have are from the US or Japan.

My favourite Ltd Edition titles, which all my friends are very jealous of, are:

The Exorcist : Signature Edition, which includes the original motion picture soundtrack, A3 poster, lobby cards, tribute book, and best of all, a senitype signed by Linda Blair with a certificate of authenticity. There are only 500 like this worldwide.

Blood the Last Vampire : Complete Box, featuring two versions of the film, a beautiful book featuring story boards, the original script (Japanese and English), and a third disc of supplemental material. I think this is limited to 3000.

Bad Taste : Special Edition, packaged in a custom tin case, includes a watch, a sticker (woweee), and another one of those senitypes. Limited to 2000.

Jurassic Park and The Lost World : Deluxe Edition, which contains both motion picture soundtracks, photo portfolios for each film, not one, but two senitypes, a certificate of authenticity, all contained in a huge presentation box.

I have other limited titles such as, The Beyond, Evil Dead 2, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Hellraiser I and II, Akira, Natural Born Killers, The Wicker Man, Spider Man (Special Box from Japan), Army of Darkness, and Halloween to name a few.

In all cases it is the presentation of the film on DVD which is of paramount importance.

Although these are limited editions, I don't consider them to be that rare. Possibly the rarest DVD I own is Salo:120 Days of Sodom, Criterion Collection.

So there you are, I am a firm advocate of these special/limited/deluxe/OOP titles. I think it makes my collection more individual. People are surprised and fascinated just looking at my collection, let alone actually watching the DVDs.

I am a very passionate movie lover, I don't wish to be associated with people who buy "flashy" DVDs for the sake of the packaging, nor the kind of person who has to have The Matrix, Momento or Donnie Darko explained to them, nor people who won't watch a film with subtitles (oops I've just gone off topic).

Perhaps people think I'm a **** for having these opinions, but somehow this is strangely reassuring. :smoke:

14. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I think some really are Limited and worth buying for the collectiblilty.

Two recent films I have bought have now sold out and are already worth more than their costs are:

My Sassy Girl - Limited Korean DTS version - only 2003 copies were made (I have 2 of theose :D )

Lover's Concerto - Limited 2-disc with OST - now only the single disc is for sale.

I would look at each individual case and make a decision based on the film, studio and the disc itself before buying.

15. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    As long as I get the television series and movies that I'd like, I really don't care if there marketed as LE, SE, CE, UE ....

I buy what I know, or think, I'd like. If I don't, I sell it again on e-bay.

16. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    is it still possible to get hold of one of these?

17. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Deansimm,

I seriously doubt they're still available. However you could try eBay.com, but be prepared to pay a very high price.

bibooo

Edit: Although reading your previous post in this thread, it's suddenly occurred to me you might be taking the p*ss?

18. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is the case that a DVD is a limited edition if it does not have 'limited edition' on it :)

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    If a special edition has extra footage inserted into the film I will go for this version. ie Lord of the rings extended :thumbsup: The extended versions are heavenly.

I will also get a special edition if it has DTS. :thumbsup:

Other than that I dont really care too much, I love collecting movies but I'm not fussed about tin boxs, and figure's etc.... I rarely watch the extra features. :eek:

If its a choice between the single dvd or the double dvd with extras I always buy the 2 disc set with extras. But I wont re-buy a dvd if it has extra bonus features. All I want is the movie.

I guess I will rebuying allot of movies when HD arrives. Lets see how many different sp/ce/ee HD DVD's we will get. :suicide:

Its all a money making exercise for the movie companies.

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    So true! :)

21. Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I agree. Far too many Dvd's are being released now as first editions, but being called "Special collector's" edition's... Mean Girls was one of them.

To make matters worse, it was a one disc Dvd as well. At least you'd expect it to be a 2-disc set, with a common one disc version also available.

And FOX... Come on, they are the worst culprits! They release two versions (One and two disc versions) of nearly everything these days, and call the two disc one something like "Special extreme edition"

I consider it as "Limited edition" if, and only if, it is numbered, with a definite total number of editions which were made available. Ie, xxxx/10,000

22. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the idea of limited edition DVDs except that most limited edition DVDs are far from limited. The closest I have come to limited editions are a couple of Japanese releases however I missed opportunities for some quite decent Korean releases because I haven't seen the film prior to the pre- release. Generally speaking though I don't really care for limited-edition DVDs I just want the best AV presentation of a film at the most realistic price, making packaging immaterial in the long run.

23. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

i agree that Fox are worst distributor's with this regard you only need to see the turkey that was alien versus predator and now they're going to release an uncut version a year later ...so there was a more adult version those lying B*$T@rds

24. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    A more adult version doesn't erase the stain that this film has caused on both the Alien or Predator names.

This could've been so, so, so much better.

As you all know I'm not one to go for special/limited editions. much :rolleyes:

25. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,903
    Were did you hear it will be Uncut? as all I have heard is that it will be Unrated which doesnt mean it will contain any extra violence or gore, just that it hasent be submitted to the MPAA.
    The extra footage being put back into the film will no doubt just be the Deleted Scenes from the 2 Disc R2 release which means no extra gore/violence and no extra alien on predator fights so its nothing more than a gimmick from Fox to try and get more people to buy the 2 Disc version due to the majority of US fans buying the 1 Disc Edition.

Speaking of AvP and Limited Editions, has anyone else bought the Alien Predator Special Monster Box?

26. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I was so looking forward to AVP, shame they messed it up. It could of been a great title. :(

27. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    thats a tenner i've lost in the bookies then :D

Gary (back by popular demand)

28. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

You've lost a few bets on me lately. [​IMG]

29. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't remember where I read about it but as you said they might not add any extra violence or gore I just assumed that but i can't see how there wouldnt be anything more adult

30. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    They should have called it a Limited Edition version as it sounds like it was a bit 'limited' :rotfl: