1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How "laggy" is your Samsung LE26/32R41?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Promised Land, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay,I wanted to start a new thread here,rather than post in the monster that is mostly about tearing!I've now had my 32 for a fortnight and,overall,I'm quite happy with it.However,one thing that is distracting me quite a bit is the high degree of "lag" it shows.This isn't just on horizontal camera pans,but vertically too.It also doesn't have to be a particularly fast pan to cause it.To be honest,if I still had the packing,I'd probably return under distance selling laws.Unfortunately,because I thought I was totally happy and have noticed this problem more as time goes on,I chucked the packing a week ago.
    I thought with the good response rate on these sets,it wouldn't be an issue,but as time goes on,it really is becoming one.So,can anyone out there offer some moral support/help?Do you notice this?Can anything be done to minimise it?Or,is it just because I was using a 21" 4:3 50hz set for the last 9 months,that I'm a bit sensitive to it at the moment?Before that I had a Sanyo PLV-Z1 and don't remember seeing such lag then,strange,as that was also LCD and on a five foot screen!
    Bit of a long post,but has anyone got any opinions/suggestions?Thanks for bearing with me if you got this far!

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yes, I noticed motion blur too. If it helps at all, it compared favorably to the LCD TV I put in the Samsung's place, although that only had dragging on extreme blacks instead of the whole image. To minimize it all I can suggest is making sure the room is well heated. You'll probably get more used to it as time goes on.

3. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess what you're saying is,the pixels move more slowly when cold?Trouble is,I'm in a loft room that's too damn hot already!I hope this doesn't mean it'll get worse in Winter,when I like to keep the room cool(don't sleep well in heat).

4. Italights

Italights

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think also these things get better with use. It makes sense if you consider that the crystals twist to refract the light they would quite possibly loosen up with use. i'm no expert mind you but I have found my LG 23" has improved immensly over the year I've had it.

5. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Promised Land

You didn't mention the sources you're watching. You will notice some lagging with almost ANY LCD if you're connecting with composite and even RGB scart. It will more or less disappear if you're watching a DVD connected with component for a progressive display. Furthermore, the higher the resolution the less upscaling the TV has to do (upscaling also causes lag or blur). In short, give it HD and the lagging will go away. I don't think Lyris noticed any lagging with component/VGA/HDMI.

6. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ramspeed;Thanks for the input.To answer your question,I'm using a Sony Freeview box over RGB scart and a Denon DVD2200 over Component(progressively).Yes,I think I'm probably magnifying the problem regarding DVD,although it's far from lag free,but I've yet to see a display that is(not saying it's not out there though!).But as far as Freeview goes,it really can be quite bad.Guess I'll have to live with it until we get HDTV in gear on these shores.As for viewing Hi-Def now,if only I could!I'm using an Apple G3 Powerbook(seems funny calling it a Powerbook in this day and age!)and I know i don't need to insult your intelligence by telling you it couldn't possibly display it!

7. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I can't say I've noticed any lag on my LE-26R41BD TV and I've been playing Xbox games as well that run at 60fps (Burnout 3, Tony Hawk's Underground, etc.) unlike DVDs and TVs, which 'only' run at 24fps. The image is fast, sharp and smear-free with component and HDMI and even with Sky Digital through RGB SCART it remains as good as it was on my old CRT in my opnion. Even horizontally scrolling text like on Sky News remains sharp and readable on this TV unlike my old Panasonic 100Hz TV, which reduced it to a blur!

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    It was the liquidy-looking lagging from the panel itself, not the deinterlacer, so it affected everything. It was actually on Component input at 480p, too.

9. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    What about for footy? Does it look good?

10. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    There's no lag on my 32" set. There is a bit of blurring on interlaced sources, but virtually none on progressive. I use an XRGB2+ upscaler on my PS2 and older systems that don't do progressive scan, as it's designed for playing games so it doesn't add any lag. (should also remove any if you're using a different HDTV that actually lags, not just blurs)

While the XRGB2+ does support 50Hz, the set itself doesn't do 50Hz over VGA. (as technically VGA should be 60Hz or higher) If you bought a VGA > Component adapter, you'd probably be able to use it on 50Hz stuff too, like Sky/Freeview etc, although it's probably too costly to consider. Just unfortunate that the sky/freeview boxes themselves don't offer progressive scan. :(

I don't watch football, but I have a hard time seeing how anyone would say it's watchable, regardless of the TV, the signal you get is so bad anyway. It's generally very blurry to begin with, and high on artifacts as it's moving quickly. Didn't look any worse than my old CRT, but I'm not the best judge.