How is the XBOX (original) as a DVD player @ 720p\1080i

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by BandofBrothers, Aug 2, 2006.

1. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Quick question.

I am seriously considering getting an xbox\modding it and using it as a dvd player.

I have a Sony KDFE50-A12 (50" hdtv) and I want to play my DVD's at either 720p or 1808i.

How is the quality of playback from the xbox?

How does it compare...to say...a half decent "proper" dvd player such as a denon 1920?

As much info\pics would be great:lease:

2. youltar

youltar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have an xbox modded with an Xcuter3 chip and as a DVD player I think it stinks bad. It does alot of things pretty decent, DVD Playback is not one of them. The xbox does not inherintly support progressive DVD playback let alone 720p. Team Avalaunch had supported it back when I was testing DVD playback and I was not impressed. Since that time there may be differnt suport via other applications now, but for that I am not sure. If you are looking to purchase one for the sole purpose of upconverting to 720p/1080i, I would spend your money in an Oppo. I have a Oppo OPDV971H and it is a WONDERFUL player which easily puts my XBOX to shame.

3. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    thanks for the info m8:)

I wont bother then

I will probably wait for hd\blu ray players now and just use my xbox 360 for the time being (even though it only does 576p with component lead)

4. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    That was so negative no need for it you can't compare an original xb to OPDV971H, xb came out long time ago was never designed to run them sort of formats it only has 64mb ram so it does bloody good also xb is a bargain at £100 modded.

You can do it without any problem in XBMC few settings need tweaking

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    Xbox DVD is rubbish. I was very disappointed after hearing good things about it. Luckily my Xbox 360 is very good (although doesn't upscale). Yes, the rest of XBMC is amazing and well worth buying an Xbox for on its own, but DVD - no.

I think the whole upscaling thing is overblown anyway - your HDTV will upscale as necessary, and its unlikely to be *that bad* at the job.

6. RickyDUn

RickyDUn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jst was reading through this and tell people what i do, just use dvd2xbox and burn the dvd to the hard drive, then play it through xbmc, works for me and has upscaled all my dvds to 720p no problem. When i put a dvd in and try and play it (either through the dvd player or xbmc) it sucks, but storing it on the hard drive works for upscaling, but need a large hard drive to store lots of dvds, esp if u have games stored on