how is the new "Photos" app in real world use?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by instigator, Jun 24, 2015.

1. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    currently using Aperture so a bit hesitant to dump that with the OS upgrade and Photos app.

argh.

2. aerodynamic18

aerodynamic18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    im in the same boat as you. Will be interested to see replys

3. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    anyone?

I might (if time allows) backup my macbook and try the upgrade... it's still beta right?

4. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I love it!

Im not a pro-photographer but this is the solution I've been waiting for and having tested it for a bit I've now commited myself to putting my entire photo library to digital.
    I'm currently in the process of scanning my old photographs, meta tagging them with correct date/time/GPS location (if possible) then add them to the Photos library.

I like that you can export the library either untouched or with changes and that the export option also allows you to rename the files and have them stored in folders relating to their date and location.
    This is great for me because I like to keep local copies for backup purposes and it means I'm not tied to Apple if I ever "jump ship" to another platform in the future.

The "icing on the cake" has to be multi device synchronisation - it's brilliant.
    I have four Apple devices, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iPad Air and iPhone 6.
    As I said, I'm in the process of converting 30 years of archive photos to digital and I do that on the Mac Pro, but I also use the other devices (mostly my iPad) to run through the growing photo library to thin it out (delete unwanted material) and fix minor anomalies (red eye, etc).
    The synchronisation is faultless, upload, delete, modify whatever, do it on one device and the entire library changes on the others almost instantly.
    Obviously, photos taken on the iPhone appear almost instantly in the iCloud library, but one word of warning if you don't have unlimited data plan on your iPhone, turn off photo library sync unless you're on wifi, or you might end up with a larger than expected monthly phone bill!

I haven't used the face recognition much, other than to test it, but it seems to work pretty well and I will probably tag faces to photos sometime in the future.

One other thing, everyone I've shown my photo library to is totally impressed. My library now spans about 40 years, and the first question I'm always asked is "how much memory does your phone have" :)
    Obviously I've had to buy additional iCloud storage space but it's well worth it for what Photos app offers to me.

Is it perfect? Not quite, there are a few things I'd like to see Apple add (for example, the ability to add GPS info to photos rather than me having to use another app), but as it stands I thoroughly recommend it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  5. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    ok, i upgraded my OS X and have tried out Photos app.

to use the sync photos to every device option apple wants me to buy about 30 quid of iCloud data a month.

hmm... not sure I'm ready to do that.

I guess I'll stick to syncing manually and only sharing specific albums.

anyone using a 3rd party cloud service to sync photos?

6. stoomc

stoomc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    I really like the new photos app. Before the app my OCD was going crazy, constantly dragging pictures to different folders, category etc.
    Now, I dont do anything. I've decided that I'm happy enough with the years, collections and moments category.

However, I'm not paying for extra storage. I did actually pay for 100gb (I think it was that amount) for a couple of months, but decided that it was not important for me to have access to all of my photos on my phone.

7. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    oh my god, the new photo app is one of the worst apps I've ever used... ever...

my suggestion is to stick with Aperture as long as you can... and then find some other app for your photos.