How is the new Golf GTI?

kutyafal

Standard Member
I'm moving to Europe and one of the vehicles I'm considering buying is the new 2006-7 Golf GTI. What's the consensus on this car? Is it German made? Is there a 5 door version available with the 2.0 Turbo and DSG ?

Thanks!

by new do you mean the new one coming out this year (see auto express) or new as in current??

kutyafal

Standard Member
by new do you mean the new one coming out this year (see auto express) or new as in current??
Well, I'm not sure if there is a newer model but the 200 HP GTI is already available in the US. I thought it was a 2006 model. Maybe it's 2007 after all. Basically I mean the latest one.

N

Noisiersounds

I would rate the new golf gti as a very good all rounder, practical, plenty of power with sharp handling, the DSG option is superb if not a quicker way to lose your licence !

there is currently on release a 230 Ps version available as the 30th anniversary

However these are biased comments purely because i work with vw`s, and havent really compared the competition, BUT the spark of teh original gti has been re-ignited .

r32 mmmmmmm

Chris_J_0907

Novice Member
Golf GTi is supposed to be a good car. I've not driven one myself. There is a 5 door version available with the DSG. I believe the Edition 30 is only being produced in a limited number of 1,500 cars.

I do think the Golf GTi is a little expensive for what you get though.

Sporran

i own a MK5 GTI had it since March 05 and just broke 25k.

Absolutely love it. This is the longest i have ever owned a car and that has to be testament to it.

Ive been lucky to have a fault free car in terms of its engineering, though i did have knob drive up my rear while i was stationary, when it was 2 months old :eek:, new wind screen at 3 months old and dinged a alloy at 30mph whule trying to watch PC plod lol.

Still i wouldnt change it but will next year when the dreaded MOTs start.

djjuk

Also have an 07 GTI, 3 door in black with DSG & cannot fault it :smashin:

Great for the morning commute, but then when you want to become a budding F1 driver it just goes & goes.

Great fun :D

kutyafal

Standard Member
So I had the chance to test drive the 5 door version with DSG tranny over the weekend. My wife and son sat in the back. Now she usually doesn't like to go fast but this time she was strangely quiet... :D

Anyhow, pretty much liked everything except the space in the cockpit. In particular the slilly handgrab on the console that got in the way of my right knee and irritated me to no end. Since I'd have to drive this thing for long trips as well as in the city if I got the car I pretty much had to take a hacksaw to it and get rid of that darn handle. It's part of the console cover which is a big piece of plastic so the handle alone is not removable. Silly design.

I see more and more of the new model cars having big tall angular center consoles that just doesn't work for anybody with long legs unless you drive like a lady (with knees together).

At least the ones here in the us are made in Germany so better reliablility is expected. The one I was testing was going for $25000, pretty well equipped which is not too bad. I wonder how that compares to European prices...

SanPedro

At least the ones here in the us are made in Germany so better reliablility is expected. The one I was testing was going for $25000, pretty well equipped which is not too bad. I wonder how that compares to European prices...
That's cheap... dirt cheap. The sticker price over here is around £20K for the basic 3 door, never mind one with DSG.

Bargain

let me get this clear in my head!
you were driving, the mrs was in the back as was your son, where was the tranny you mentioned? in the front with you or back with family
did he/she also enjoy the car ;)

haha trannys and knobs up as, a pink vw golf?

kutyafal

Standard Member
let me get this clear in my head!
you were driving, the mrs was in the back as was your son, where was the tranny you mentioned? in the front with you or back with family
did he/she also enjoy the car ;)
OK, so what do YOU mean by "tranny"? Over here it's the transmission. I'm sure I'm missing something. :)

buy an A3...absolute beast of a car...went out in a 2.0TDI today (dad lent me it whilst my sxi is having as new sound system fitted) and its so fast, faster than a cooper s, mind you there is the diesel lag for a second or so then it like pulls you away

OK, so what do YOU mean by "tranny"? Over here it's the transmission. I'm sure I'm missing something. :)
simply go to google image search, put safe search off, and type in "german tranny"

i wouldnt do this in work however :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom