1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is the LE32r41bdx so cheap?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Hursty24, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Hursty24

Hursty24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing my research into which HD ready 32" Lcd screen to buy and i keep coming back to the Samsung LE32R41BDX.
    It seems to have all the connectivity you could want, is HD ready, has an intergrated freeview decoder, looks good and from the few reviews i've managed to find on this exact model it performs well too. Then of course there is the price, this model is available on line for under £850!!!

I watched it next to a Philips Pixel Plus 2 screen, of the same size in Comet the other day, playing a HD sourced demo from a PC. I have to say from standing a specific distance away and slap bang in the middle of the screen the Philips looked sharper, just, but any closer and it looked grainy compared to the Samsung whose display was fantastic.

Am i missing something here? How is it so much cheaper than the equivalent Sony, Panny, Philips, JVC, Hitachi etc???
    I've seen that this and the 26" model seem to be very popular on here so come owners is it really that good comapred to its more expensive competitors or does it get the vote because of it's price?? I know it has all the toys but does it perform?

I know Samsung make their own screens (and for a lot of other manufacturers) so is this a reason for them being able to sell it at such a price, as it is cheaper to produce each unit as they use their own screens?

Or am i really missing something!?!?

Sorry for all the Q's but I need to know because i'm very close to buying one but could spend the extra if i'm going to see/hear the difference.

2. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Every once in a while something comes along which, by comparison, seems a bit of a bargain.
    This is one of those times.
    Get your cheque book out
    :D :D :D :D

3. mickymcd

mickymcd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Im looking for this tv too where have you seen it for this price and is it in stock thanks :thumbsup:

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    It's performance in my opinion was pretty average (I'm not talking about the tearing effect, which is now fixed). It is terrifically good value if you don't notice some technical shortcomings, but if you really do want to look for ways that they've managed to cut the cost, you'll be able to find them.

5. Ginz

Ginz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Such as? I'm not the most technically TV minded so probably wouldn't see them.

6. ThePimpmaster

ThePimpmaster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read lyris his review but he was way to negative in my opinion. The sound wasn't good in his opinion, but he forgets that speakers need at least eight hours of play before getting into their own (and that certainly was the case with the samsung, it is even more so with expensive speakers though). The sound is great (compared to other LCD's and this has been aknlowledged by various reviews in magazines). He reviewed the image compared to a TV that he had for quite a while (smaller TV) and didn't take time to let the set warm up (this set gets better after a few days of use, the colors get better and better, the same way it does with other sets).To me it seemed like a wannebe in the know review (why massage a dead pixel if Samsung give a 100% dead pixel free garanty on those?). The tearing he had, and a dead pixel would be reason enough to bring it back. But the teraing is gone nowadays. So there nothing against this set.

The tearing is a firmware issue, that isnt on newer sets (with new firmware). So there is nothing wrong with this set.

The Philips is better with old (crap) sources, but on HD material the Samsung is a better performer.

Strong points of the Samsung:
    *D-Sub PC in is the best I've ever seen on any TV (or even monitor).
    *Great responsetime (soccer looks great, compared to other sets).
    *HDTV is briljant (that is 720p!)
    *Good price
    *Great sound for an LCD TV (3D SRS Stereo is actually good).

Bad points
    *RGB is a step back compared to a CRT (the filter isn't that good)
    *Bad sources will stay bad (Philips has a better way of handling this)