How is the Abit A17 MBoard for a HCPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Comer, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just looking at this for a HCPC and wondered haw it is. At present I am using an MSI and it crashes if I change any settings from the default. Also if anyone is using this Abit board, is that a fan I see there on the picture and if so how noisy is it?

Thanks

Conor

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ABits are well regarded in the 'clocking community, and this one in particular was a 'hot item' when it first came out, which if nothing else means they must be pretty damned stable at stock speeds. Not sure about the Northbridge fan, some can be a bit noisy, I often disconnect those on my Gigabyte boards .. if it's a problem you could always fit one of these pretty easily.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    I'm not sure how noisy the fan is on that motherboard, but I believe that Gigabytes are well known for being just about the noisiest in that department.

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thanks for the replies. The fan has me a little frightened so I might try this one instead

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I personally wouldn't be over-worried about the fan, however if you don't feel like replacing it if it proves noisy then it could be a gamble .. no SPD/IF on that other one, so you'd need a sound card for that, apart from that it seems a pretty decent board, but I've never seen any comments on it unlike the AI7.

Personally I think I would probably go with this one from Gigabyte, nice feature set including decent sound and not a great deal more, if that's of interest.