Answered How is sky Q settling in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi all,

Firstly after reading around I can't work out whether we are supposed to make new threads or talk in old ones in this sub forum? so apologies if this is wrong.

How are people finding Q now it's been out a while? Now sky have reduced my one off fee to £100 rather than £300 it was at launch I'm considering jumping in.

Are people enjoying it? Is it a 'step up' from sky hd?

Q has given me a proper three multi room experience up from two plus a RF feed and for that alone it was worth the one off cost and roughly the same subs.
I do not have a UHD Telly yet so my basis of worth is on HD alone.
I still have connectivity issues that require a reboot every few days. That is bearable as long as the missus doesn't moan too much. However I have had a couple of total lock ups and failed recordings which when live sport is involved is a royal PITA.

Is the feed to the other boxes decent quality? I don't want to be waiting ages for it to buffer or anything!

I'm going to try and get the one off fee reduced also as I've been with them for years and last had a deal from them 2 years ago!

Sky Q is superb for me. The UHD content and sport looks superb. Ability to record 4 things and watch a 5th is great too.

Love the multiroom and being able to watch HD quality on tablets 'live' without using Internet and without the Sky Go delay.

UHD and multiple channel recording are worth the upgrade alone.

Now I've had my Silver box replaced and it's working properly, I can agree with all of the above :thumbsup:

Is there still a long wait for install? Hoping if I call tomorrow night I could get a September 9th install date

I booked for a Silver Q the other day and mine was only £30 for the one off fee (and another £30 for a mini) with that and a £12 increase in monthly subs.

I have HD now but with an RF feed to my daughters room so she can have the mini and leave my box alone!

My install was 2 weeks ahead when ordering.

I thinks it's great, I can't see why anyone would really want to record 4 things and watch a 5th but the concept of the mini box and the shared content from the silver is very good, as is the Q app on the iPad, wish it had more storage now.

UI is very slick and clean, all performing exceptionally well so far, so so far, I am very happy.

Is there still a long wait for install? Hoping if I call tomorrow night I could get a September 9th install date

Mine was installed 5 days after ordering, guess it depends how busy your post code area is.

Is the feed to the other boxes decent quality? I don't want to be waiting ages for it to buffer or anything!

I'm going to try and get the one off fee reduced also as I've been with them for years and last had a deal from them 2 years ago!
I do get the occasional picture drop out on the minis, say for for 1-2 seconds. This might happen three times in a minute or three times a day. It will happen though.

Hmm joys of wireless I guess!!

I have wired Ethernet to both points but I believe the Ethernet doesn't work?

I always have clashes from shows and it does my head in!

I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say. The cheaper the better!

Ethernet works fine.

Love the multiroom and being able to watch HD quality on tablets 'live' without using Internet and without the Sky Go delay.

UHD and multiple channel recording are worth the upgrade alone.
Mine isn't fitted yet, but the sky q app, does it work on 4g away from the home like that? Or do you have to be on the same network? I realise you have to download stuff to it, but can you watch what's on your planner away from home without downloading?

I booked for a Silver Q the other day and mine was only £30 for the one off fee (and another £30 for a mini) with that and a £12 increase in monthly subs.

I have HD now but with an RF feed to my daughters room so she can have the mini and leave my box alone!

My install was 2 weeks ahead when ordering.
You're obviously not a Multiroom subscriber, I've just paid £198 for installation, and they would not budge.
Doesn't seem fair to make people who were originally paying more for multi to fork out more than someone who didn't, for q installation.

I've told them no chance at £198, happy to pay £60 but not £198.

Doesn't massively bother me as I'm actually holding out for the V2 Q box to iron out any hardware bugs as I'm fed up paying too much to be an early adopter with Sky.

I've actually still got my original Panasonic Digibox hooked up in the conservatory, I had a + box and +HD box in there but the heat killed them. The Panasonic Digibox looks like it will go on forever.

You're obviously not a Multiroom subscriber, I've just paid £198 for installation, and they would not budge.
Doesn't seem fair to make people who were originally paying more for multi to fork out more than someone who didn't, for q installation.

No not multiroom at present, it was more expensive a few weeks back so just been checking every few days, first mini was £30 then £100 thereafter.

Bearing in mind there is 'no installation' involved for the mini (and you don't own it) how do they come up with that charge?

I'm guessing the installation is configuring up the wifi mesh.

Really? so what is different if you are multiroom or not at present?

Who knows with Sky, let's charge some customers £10, some £60 and some £198.

I fall into the £198 camp having full package with multiroom, phone and broadband.

Maybe it's the phone/BB then, i'm on VM so nothing to do with them.

Mine isn't fitted yet, but the sky q app, does it work on 4g away from the home like that? Or do you have to be on the same network? I realise you have to download stuff to it, but can you watch what's on your planner away from home without downloading?

You can stream to iPad on home network and download some content to view off site.

I took Sky Q Silver plus two mini's back in June for £44pm (no movies nor sport) plus £99 install for the lot. I got a hybrid LNB just by asking the installer.
Other than a couple of reboots it's worked well, with the Silver connected by Ethernet cable and the minis on wireless. The four recordings at a time has been a real plus during the Olympics as we haven't had to worry about clashes with other recordings that had been set up.
Biggest downside - the touch remote, I can't get used to it in spite of trying and have bought a second standard remote.

I'm distinctly underwhelmed by both remotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom