How is Sky connected?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Tracey, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I want to have Sky installed but it says on their website that the digibox needs to be connected to a telephone line, so how does this work? I only have a master socket for the telephone in the hall and the STB will be in the lounge, does this mean I'll need cable going from the back of the STB in the lounge to the telephone socket in the hall to connect it all up? I need to know this beore I lay a wooden floor, and I'll need to get the cable myself because I can't get Sky until after the floor is down, being a woman the last thing I want is cables all over the place!!

2. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    For the first year you have to have the SKY connected for box office, maintenance, games, etc.....Otherwise they send you a snotty letter threatening to cancel you subscription and remove your box, etc.
    The engineer will staple gun a cable or drill another nice hole in the wall.

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Yes.
    There is a standard phone socket in the back of the STB which must be connected to a phone point.

Rather than run a cable specifically for the STB, why not install a phone point extension?
    You just need a length of cable and a socket box.
    Then the Sky installer will just have to connect the supplied phone cable when he turns up.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Due to the huge amount of standard SKY subscribers within the scope of the phone requirment (12months min) they don't go to any length to confirm that subscribers are meeting the requirments.
    If the installer offers to permenantly fix a phone cable just ask him not too as you plan to put an extension in now the digibox is done, he should be fine with this and at worse just leave the cable lying around. Some installers won't even bother either way, do the job as quick as possible and get to the next one.

The only phone requirment that SKY do enforce religiously is for people using the mirror subscription.

5. hmsq

hmsq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Yes i still have that famous letter! Funny even got a call! They wanted to charge me £60 for an engineer to come out and fix the problem!
    The problem being that the first enginerr did not install it properly!
    So I had to prove to them that, once that was done no more annoying letter or phone call!
    Not even an apologie! Oh well that is in the past! One question the boxes afte the 12month req they are ours right, as i paid £260 my sky+ and alot for the otherthey are def not getting them back they are mine now! LOL

6. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, I have heard that Sky installers are not exactly bothered about ruining the decor when they install things, that why I don't want to give them any reason to need to do it. I think adding a telephone socket in the lounge is probably the best bet, if I don't use it in the future it won't matter as I can hide it behind the tv cabinet.