Question how is it that the ysp5600 was not updated/revamped for hdr

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by gkatz, Mar 13, 2018.

1. gkatz

gkatz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    its mind blowing to me that the ysp5600 which was introduced on late 2015 still does not support HDR pass through. the later 2700 does support this but the flagship 5600 does not.
    how can the leading soundbar manufacturer afford to not add this by updating the HW of the 5600 or even put out a 5700.
    I really do not understand this.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Gary Briscoe

Gary Briscoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree. i wonder if they are relying on people connecting there sources direct to a display and utilising ARC to the yammy. Not sure if atmos would be returned to the bar tho.

Been debating taking the plunge on this for a while but there seems to be lots of grey areas and mixed reviews ranging from great to not so good.

Do you have this bar? Any good besides the HDR thing?

3. gkatz

gkatz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i am sure the sound on this things blasts the current competition away.
    but...
    its still annoying that there is no HDR version. most TVs (with the exception of LG) will not output atmos over arc so you need an atmos capable external player for 4k hdr atmos and you will need to split the audio and video to different places.
    there are some 4K HDR compliant soundbars our there with which using an LG atmos tv you can hook it to a soundbar (sony, lg, others with atmos support) and that's it.
    I think yamaha waited too long and I think they will probably wait another year to produce a hdmi 2.1 edition of the 5600 (with a different name of course) which will include 4K HDR passthrough and than some (like earc support).
    and no, I dont have this soundbar...

4. Stinkles

Stinkles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have lived with my YSP 5600 for a while now and it's almost perfect for my basement situation. I didn't realize the HDR problem until I owned the thing for a day. Thought I was going nuts.

In my setup it meant choosing either HDR or 4K which was an absurd spot to be in. However, rather than return it and wait, I contacted HDfury customer service via Amazon and asked if their splitter would fix the issue - and sure enough it does. I got it on sale before Xmas for an even $100 - which is a lot to solve a problem that should ideally be solved with a firmware update, but it was a life saver in my situation and even has a couple of advantages in my gaming setup (Xbox One X and a Switch and a PS4 Pro - so I can hot swap cables and eliminate a potential layer of latency).

I still hope they are able to address in a Firmware update but there may be a hardware or HDMI version barrier.

This is the splitter I use. There are cheaper ones out there but this one definitely works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DBB31HP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,433
    The HDFury AVR key is a great solution - you can also use the Integral2 and Vertex if you require to support two Source devices.

Joe

6. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Double up - please delete.

7. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It's a hardware limitation, otherwise Yamaha would have done exactly what you're asking.

I'm picking a new version will arrive, but Yamaha don't change their products on a yearly basis anymore...

8. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    I wonder if the 5600 is the last to be produced in that form factor (4100/5100/5600) and any new product will more resemble kit produced by other manufacturers?

Clem