how important is tonal matching if you have audessey

jwyg

i have a 5.1 set-up of tannoy 'F's, so FC centre, F4 fronts, and F1 rears (with an Epos ELS sub)

however, i also have an Epos M8 centre, which is probably a better speaker than the Tannoy FC.

would i be best off sticking with the all tannoy set up (ignoring aesthetics) for tonal matching, or will the audessey calibration of my A/V amp compensate for all of that?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
How about you try it and tell us what you think? :)

Audyssey won't compensate for tonal matching, but as you say the M8 should be better, so I'd say it would be an improvement.

BlueWizard

Badger is right. Audyssey is for level or volume matching, not tonal matching.

Slight variation in tonal mismatch can be overlook, but extreme mismatches can be irritating.

Generally if the speaker are not the identical brand and series, then the make up of the speakers should, at least, be similar. Meaning, if the rest of your system has Kevlar cones, it would be best if the mismatched speaker also had Kevlar cones. A similar match should be made with the tweeters. The best match will be when both speakers have either silk dome tweeters or metal dome tweeters, but mixing silk and metal is likely to cause a problem.

But since you already have the speakers, it costs you nothing to try. Even if it is mismatch, there is nothing to say it won't be mismatched in a way that you prefer.

I can't see any harm in trying it out. You'll either like it or you won't.

Steve/bluewizard

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Peaks and lows are different to tone.

Using EQ might well bring things nearer, but it won't be the same as using speakers from the same group, as Bluewizard suggests

versionalpha

Standard Member
snip

Generally if the speaker are not the identical brand and series, then the make up of the speakers should, at least, be similar. Meaning, if the rest of your system has Kevlar cones, it would be best if the mismatched speaker also had Kevlar cones. A similar match should be made with the tweeters. The best match will be when both speakers have either silk dome tweeters or metal dome tweeters, but mixing silk and metal is likely to cause a problem.

Steve/bluewizard

Sorry to butt in on the thread, but this is some good info for me :smashin:hence a question !

I currently have a pair of AE120 floorstanders (25mm soft fabric dome tweeter, 90mm polymer-pulp diaphragm mf/lf drivers, freq response 38Hz - 18KHz).

The center is an MS905 which does not match, any suggestions on a replacement.

Thanks

VA

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom