How important is speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mitesh, Jul 31, 2012.

1. mitesh

mitesh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. I have ordered the MA bx 2 setup and wanted to how important speaker cable. I have access to 1.5mm twin flex being based in malawi.

2. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    This is one of the most subjective debates on this forum.

I wouldn't advise spending a vast amount (around 10% of the value of your system would be a good starting point)

If you're happy with the twin flex stuff then I'd stick with that. If at a later stage you get chance to try something else then give it a go. I genuinely believe I can hear a difference in most cables, some people on here would want you put away in a mental institution for saying it.

3. diablo

diablo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    1.5mm twin flex will certainly do for now. Especially if it the sort meant for mains power supply use - as it will probably be mainly copper.

There are cheap Chinese 'hi-fi' cables which are not copper but a sort of alloy with a high resistance - and you want to steer clear of that stuff.

Better quality cable is usually err, a bit better. :) But there are few who can hear the difference in blind testing.

It is better not to solder non-OFC cable as the strands have a tendency to break when they have been subjected to the high heat.