1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is DV connection on a DVD recorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by GadgetObsessed, Apr 7, 2005.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    I'm considering either a Panny E95 or the new Panny EH50 DVD recorder - both of which are now about £330 - for copying my DV camcorder tapes to DVD.

The main advantage of the older model (E95) for me is that it has DV-in whereas with the new model I would have to use S-video from my camcorder.

Does using S-video result in a significant drop in PQ compared to DV-in?

2. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are pros & cons for each one (DV-in versus S-video).

1) if you use DV-in

- your video (DV-AVI), although converted to a more compressed format like MPEG2 (stantard for DVD), is converted in digital domain. There are no Digital to Analogue to Digital conversions. Just a digital to digtal convertion.

- you will get a chapter mark for each timecode break in the miniDV tape (useful for editing)

- you don't get time & date stamp.

2) if you use S-Video

- Video is converted from AVI to S-Video to MPEG2, wich involves digital to analogue to digital conversion. PQ should be worst. I've tested it for my self and I do find this method to hold a worst PQ. Others might well say that they don't see any diference.

- you don't get a chapter mark for each timecode break in the miniDV tape

- you can get time & date stamp if you play your tape with that thing turned on.

Now ... I have a pioneer recorder (DVR-51000) and a Sony camcorder (DCR-PC330). I've copied around 26 miniDV tapes to my recorder using DV-in and produced a DVD-R for each tape (at highest quality - 1 hr / DVD).

What can I say ? .... the PQ on the final DVD is amazing !

HTH