Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

How important is DV connection on a DVD recorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by GadgetObsessed, Apr 7, 2005.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    I'm considering either a Panny E95 or the new Panny EH50 DVD recorder - both of which are now about £330 - for copying my DV camcorder tapes to DVD.

The main advantage of the older model (E95) for me is that it has DV-in whereas with the new model I would have to use S-video from my camcorder.

Does using S-video result in a significant drop in PQ compared to DV-in?

2. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are pros & cons for each one (DV-in versus S-video).

1) if you use DV-in

- your video (DV-AVI), although converted to a more compressed format like MPEG2 (stantard for DVD), is converted in digital domain. There are no Digital to Analogue to Digital conversions. Just a digital to digtal convertion.

- you will get a chapter mark for each timecode break in the miniDV tape (useful for editing)

- you don't get time & date stamp.

2) if you use S-Video

- Video is converted from AVI to S-Video to MPEG2, wich involves digital to analogue to digital conversion. PQ should be worst. I've tested it for my self and I do find this method to hold a worst PQ. Others might well say that they don't see any diference.

- you don't get a chapter mark for each timecode break in the miniDV tape

- you can get time & date stamp if you play your tape with that thing turned on.

Now ... I have a pioneer recorder (DVR-51000) and a Sony camcorder (DCR-PC330). I've copied around 26 miniDV tapes to my recorder using DV-in and produced a DVD-R for each tape (at highest quality - 1 hr / DVD).

What can I say ? .... the PQ on the final DVD is amazing !

HTH