1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How important is a flat screen?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pointon, Mar 25, 2002.

1. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not being too well informed on the subject of flat screen TV's, I was wondering just how important it is. What kind of difference does it make to the picture or the viewing experience?

As I understand, its primarily to cut down on reflections and to increase the viewing angle. So if you're always sat directly in front of the screen, and if there's no light to reflect off the screen's surface, is it really that neccesary? Or does it serve some other purpose that I'm ignorantly overlooking?

I'm only asking because in my hunt for a new TV, I've been looking only at flat screen models, and I'm just wondering if such specs are essential to my usage.

Cheers.

2. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pointon,

I think you've summed up the differences that matter. Some might also add that you have a 'straighter' image since the screen is flat, but unless the TV is a 'Cheapovision' 32" TV it's unlikely to have an excessively rounded tube.

My old 28" TV didn't have a flat screen and I found that on really sunny days the screen was often difficult to view clearly.

2p worth