1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I lost my sammy

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tim k, Jun 26, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To explain a very intense period of my life i must start from the beginning.
    2 years ago i was out with friends working in Ibiza, and on the beach in San An we saw some rather tasty looking ladies waltz by in the baking heat and skantilly clad bikini's. After a quick introduction i spent a few weeks with this girl but decided to get out of the country and come back to a more sane environment back in Birminhgam. It turned out the Blonde Essex girl who was stripping out there decided to move up to Birmingham with a friend to work at one of the local clubs. I seized the opportunity to entertain the blondie and one thing led to another and after a few months we decided to get our own place together. 2 years down the line, 1 mortgage, 2 pregnancy scares, multiple arguments, and rolled in a few good memories came a crossroads where we both realised the initial spark had died, and were both planning secretly our plan B. Unfortunately for me, with finances split throughout our penthouse, this came at the time i had just got my htpc media center and sp50 all setup to my maximum ever desired spec.
    On friday we had a blazing row before i left for work, i thought nothing of it, but as the day wore on i realised that some kind of resolution to the situation must be made this weekend. So, plan B ---Invite mum up to stay!!!
    We rang Clare to say we should have a sit down talk that evening, no reply. answer machine. So decided to just turn up after I left work. and this is where it went horribly wrong, and my nightmare started.
    With mum behind me turning the lock to the penthouse we realised on entry that things werent all as they seemed, it had been raided, not forced entry so there was only one possible reason, clare had a done a runner. When i say raided i mean everything had gone. Well except for a couple of things thank f*k that inc my pc, altho she had nicked the 17" widescreen lcd.
    Now this isnt all as straight forward as it may seem, as we did have alot of purchases that were shared. But all in all, I have no mission 5.1, sp50, lcd, and washing powder. but on the plus point i dont have someone moaning in my ear. Ive researched various options of how to resolve this, and insurance wise i dont think i have a leg to stand on as it was a domestic. Altho the Tv was on 0% finance in my name, but gettin this back may need me getting the police involved and round here we dont grass and i couldnt do that. so im in a catch 22. thanks for listening to a distraught sp50less unhappy tim. but any advice would be greatly received.

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Nooooooo...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

You've waited for 6 weeks to get your samsung set from France and now your missus has done a runner with it. :eek: :eek: :eek: I know your a chef Tim I would say it was time to get the big meat knife out and hunt down your missus.

I can't beleive you have had this happen to you, I am shocked and feel sorry for you. :confused:

She obviously had help in removing the sp50.

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

3. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, but the 'round here we don't grass' comment is just absolute ********.

Someone just opened your wallet and took out £1700 and you're going to let them get away with it because you don't grass? I feel for your situation but if it comes down to this statement, then just ain't going to get anywhere.

Cancel/freeze any shared accounts or cards you have right away to prevent any further losses, and contact the police - this is your only course of action.

Remember you are still liable for the credit agreement even though the TV is no longer there - so you will still have to pay that off regardless of whether you have the TV or not.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

I would go and see a solictor about this issue and also do as Chumpy has said. Dont tell the police that your getting advice from people called Chumpy and Razor, they might think your a bit insane. :smashin:

5. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    hi razor :hiya: hi tim :hiya:
    sorry to hear about the split but most of all your possesions i know i would be gutted :( but what razor says is the best i think see a solicitor it would be free anyway just to see where you stand,and then if you can find you ex tell the situation saying if you cant resolve the matter you would have to go to the police because it is theft :eek: but if you dont want to grass can i have your address so i can come and collect the rest of your stuff especially your pc :rotfl: :D but plz go to solicitor good luck p.s dont forget to forward you address :thumbsup:

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Kourosh :hiya:

LOL.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

No one likes theives. :thumbsdow

7. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your support guys, its a very difficult situation. we had most purchases split but paid with her credit card so it may be impossible to recover anything as she has proof of purchase not me. I am scheduled to see a solicitor this week, but i think the only option will be small claims court and wait to see if she responds. but even if i win i wont see the cash for years to come.

my one major line of investigation will be the payment protection insurance on the finance agreement, which may well cover me as it has been a theft. althought the police may take it as strange seeing as its taken me a few days to log.

p.s. no addresse. the butcher knife is under my pillow :devil:

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

:hiya: Tim
    Tell the police you thought she would come to her senses and you were too upset to see anyone. After all your pride and joy has left you (Samsung not girl friend) :smashin:

I think she was nasty in taking your tv which she knew full well you loved so much. Who helped her remove the SP50 tho?

9. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah it was a big operation she carried out, all of her personal stuff, cross trainer, exercise bike, tv, 5.1, lcd. your talking 2-3 guys her and a big van. i think ill have to inform the police 2mo. i am gutted i have lost my sp50, but after a few nights viewing it became apparent that i was mega sensitive to the rainbow effect, and i dont think i would want a dlp for my main viewing. i may go for a panasonic ae700 lcd projector, and the classy denon 5.1 speakers. but this is a few pay packets away yet. gutted now i have a hd full of hd material inc swordfish 1080p 8 gig file!!

10. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thats it I'm kicking the Misses and the kids straight out the street, it's just too risky :)

Seriously tim k I feel for ya man! :(
    I followed the problems you had getting it delivered, I bet she was waiting to get her hands on the sammy all along :mad:

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Tim

You clearly have no need for your 8 gig file of swordfish now so donating it to me would be the gentlemenly thing to do. :D

BTW your probably going to have the title of this thread changed from Sammy to Samsung (LV426 :hiya: :D )

12. destix

destix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah , i thought the title meant you were talking about your mid-day lunchbox woes :cool:

i got scolded for a title much the same :suicide:

the internet is such a free and open resource but i urge you to read page 258 of your Net Users Handbook before you commit anymore of this foolishness :devil:

13. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Tim :eek: dude! sorry Im late replying mate as the last 2 days I hooked up my pc to my sp50 to see what the pic would be like via hdmi-dvi, see my cable aint long enough so the net was out the window 4 a day and a half, no big deal right? wrong!

And There's me enjoying my sammy assuming you were doing the same, and your ex has nicked your pride and joy! :mad:

Im absolutely feckin reelin mate, especially since we have corresponded all the way up to us receiving our sets from pixmania, you having received your sammy the day after me, saying nothing of the fact we didnt even know whether we would receive our sammys or not since what happened to av alan and others, and now this!

You wont believe it mate if I told you but not only have I had a similar thing done to me where I was kicked out of my old flat some years ago by my ex, but she also tried to rob my consoles and pc!

I was lucky and managed to enter the flat when she was out risking arrest and retreive my stuff..phew!

Your story however has genuinely soured my day and I wouldnt be surprised if like my ex, your ex was waiting for the sammy to arrive before making her move :mad: trust me just like my ex your dumping and being setup was premeditated.

p.s. hope you can sort something out legally mate as theft is theft at the end of the day, oh and by the way mate.. Im selling my ae-700 6 months old with 8ft owl screen if your interested? maybe we can sort something out cheers and good luck!

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

I was thinking the same thing. :cool:

15. Mark H99

Mark H99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim, absolutley gutted for you, she sounds like a right vindictive bitch.
    A few years ago i used to have a black Ur quattro, (original 80's roadgoing 4wd supercar) and i loved it with a passion. about 5 months after buying it, my then girlfriend and i split after 1 too many blazing rows. The next morning i woke up to discover every panel on said car had been keyed. though i had no proof i knew it was her so reported it to the police. Anyyways they questioned her, and she didn't admit it, but i knew and she knew i knew ect.
    A couple of months later i got a 2nd job as a bouncer at a local club, one she used to go to all the time, needless to say she never got into that club again :rotfl: . Anyway she was a vindictive bitch also, luckily for me my insurance covered it £2000 bare metal respray was needed due to the deep scratches.
    Still makes me very angry to think about it / her.
    Am happily married now, but have been saving for a new tv for about 6 months so would be gutted to have that happen.

Hope you manage to get it sorted in a positive way.
    Maybe find her credit card details and buy yourself a new set on her !!!

Anyways good luck Tim. Don't let her get to you.
    Mark

16. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Hi Tim

Absolutely gutted to hear your news, after all the hassle getting your SP50 and then this happens. Hope your luck changes and you find the B***H and get your
    set back. I know id be devastated if that happened to me, keep your chin up.

17. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your responses guys, its very re-assuring to find people with similar stories. I suppose I have justified alot of what she's done for the arguments we had been having, but i know now what shes done was well out of order.

I have seeked legal advice and found out that if you live with anyone for more than 6 months (in some cases a year) (we were together 2) then they are entitled to half of everything, whether you paid for it or not. that is covered under common law. so im shafted. As she could say she left half of the total value in the flat (which is probably around right). The more i find out i realise the more she had been premeditating all of this. The sickening thing is how happy i was to get the set, i remember texting her to say she was going to be amazed with it, and when she got her her reactions were very mixed, if only i had known then, i knew something was up.

I think the moral of the story is if you like blonde essex strippers always get them to sign an agreement before they move in stating that they are entitled to nothing. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

I am now left with the £1680 to pay for the sp50 in 9 months, and having to rebuild my av setup. My Dad has been a star (he's well into his AV with a crackin setup!) and he's said he'd treat me to a cheap plasma package and 5.1. Although I am adament it must be HD ready or really a waste of money (not inc. the fact of seeing the beautiful pictures of the sp50).

My options are:

Tannoy FX5.1 from richersounds £199 or Denon 5.1 £299 (cant remember model number but it has a really nice wooden subwoofer)

Matched with either a pv500 with wall (1919 from totaldigital) or the phillips 9986 32" lcd (loving the ambilight but htpc hdmi issues of resolution at £1650)

The other option is to go projector route, leeboy pm me with an asking price for the ae700 what lamp life does it have left? Is that the screen it comes bundled with normally?

18. Kryters74

Kryters74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Tim

I am not sure where you got your legal advice from, but I am not sure it is correct. There is no such thing as "common law". I looked into this recently when my Dad started living with a woman he has been seeing for some time, and being a selfish bastard I wanted to check up on the legality of the will etc (my Dad is not very well!) and as long as there is no marriadge then there are very few rights over property etc.

I have attached a recent article from the times on-line which can explain it better than I can.

It could be that I am talking s**t though as I am not a laywer/soliciter...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1670798,00.html

19. Orchard Rebel

Orchard Rebel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

Sorry to hear about this happening to you.

Reading what's gone before a couple of things strike me:

1. I think Nicholas is right about the "common law" thing. As far as I recall (and I'm going back a few years to when I practised law in England), in a non-marital situation your property does not automatically become shared as a result of cohabitation. In other words, if you split up and can prove you paid for an item then it's yours. I must stress that I haven't lived or worked in England for a while now so the situation may have changed but I'm not aware that it has.

2. If the above is correct and the SP50 is paid for by a credit agreement to which the ex isn't a party, then it is your property and she should have no right to it by cohabitation or otherwise. It's theft pure and simple.

I think Razor et al are correct. See a solicitor and call the police. There could be any number of reasons why you delayed calling them, e.g. in the hope that you could persuade her to return the items etc.

Finally, as someone else who has also gone through the big unmarried split (only in my case I was the one legging it while I was still sane :eek: ), rest assured there is still life, other women, marriage, children and HDTV.

Somewhat disturbed though to see the number of DLP (or potential) DLP owners who've been through this. Is it something in our genetic makeup :confused:

Good luck mate

Felix

20. Riva

Riva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

Gutted to hear of your news -I think I would have gone nuts, I think your staying rather calm which is a credit to your character. I would certainly seek legal advice, but it can be very expensive to hire a lawyer. I would try citizens advice bureau as they have a free legal advice service.

Chin up mate!

21. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Tim :hiya:

My out look on life is treat others as they treat you. She obviously planned the whole removing items from your flat sinaro many weeks before she did it. I wouldn't be surprised if she waited for the set to arrive before she went. If someone who you are ment to of cared about can do that to you it says it all. Show no mercy or compasion get back what is rightfully yours and be glad you never had any children or got married to this person.

One of my old training partners used to work as a doorman in Spearmint Rhinos and I heard many stories of girls doing just this. He always said these girls were bad news and only cared for themselves. 'Pretty on the outside and twisted on the inside' was his moto.

I hope you can get over the heart break Tim. From your posts and private messages you seem a very decent bloke and don't desrve to be treated like this by anyone, let alone someone you love.

:thumbsup:

BTW its nice too see so many members coming forward with kind words and support. :clap: The DLP section has a nice little comunity and I am pleased to be a part of it. :D

22. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GROUP HUG DLP!!! :clap:

haha, im trying to be calm but it does play on my mind. its a reassurance that my parents are willing to help me regain my AV setup. so as long as i have my pride and joy back i can get back on the prowl!! sat night had a good night out with best mate and met a few prospects so just goes to show how little i cared about her.

nice to be young free and single, at the moment its looking very messy with taking her to court, it would have to be small claims court (looked into common law and your right, solicitor wasnt correct!! thanks) and at the best i would probably get £10 a month back from her. I know i didnt love her, and the premeditation proves no regrets. Just going to be skint for a few months!! major outgoings with all the bills to pay etc, but worthwhile for what ive built up. the funny thing is i found some notes under the bed with flat details - 1 beds in really dodgy areas in brum for £450, with this and bills and outgoings shes guna be more hardup than me, and very foolish. as you say it is an absolute godsend i didnt settle down with this girl, this would have been the worst environment for kids to grow up in. back to the drawing board!! as you may know it aint easy finding the right one!! 23 and not getting any younger!! if only a girl that loved her AV more than me and was prepared to buy 50" HD plasmas willy nilly!! oh well, we can only dream!!

23. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Tim did u get my pm about the panny mate?

24. AV Alan

AV Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

Absolutely gutted for you mate - at least you have got your sense of priority correct (more worried about loosing the TV than the girlfriend!)

I guess you have three options

1. Find a good solicitor. Any good solicitor will give you 15 mins free on the phone or in person to assess your case. With costs of £100 per hour & up you need clear advice on whether you are likely to end up spending more on costs than you ever get back. They may however be able to come up with some ideas such as re-assigning the loan for the SP50 to her etc.

2. Find out where your stuff is, get several (large) mates together with a van & go and get what is yours.

3. Move on, make the best of it & find a new (very rich) girlfriend who will want to buy all the latest AV toys for you as presents....

As I say, I am gutted for you. Its been enough of a stress for us to get the SP50s in the first place, to loose it a couple of days later....

Alan

25. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all seem like very good ideas alan, id love to do 2) but just dont know where she is. she hasnt turned up for work and none of her friends seem to know where she is, although theyre proabably bluffing. but i think she may have gone back to essex. i think its going to be a lot easier to just start over. maybe this forum should have a singles section. young male tall dark and handsome seeks stunning gadget freak halo 2 loving model!!

leeboy, thanks for pm sorry not had time 2 reply, spoke to the old man and he said he'd rather go for something brand new, but ill defo keep you posted. :)

26. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I presume you're looking for a female...

Always pay attention to the small print! You'll end up with some 7ft bloke taking the other half...

btw, I believe in England there is no such thing as the 6mth living together entitlement...

It was front page news on The Times yesterday as the government are trying to give more rights to couples living together.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-2-1670798,00.html

You're paying for the tv, it's your tv plain and simple.

27. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sorry to hear of your woes tim k - she should be relativley easy to track down...It may sound very American (no offence to our international friends) but you could hire a Private Detective - No idea how much they cost but I cant imagine its that expensive if you only want to track her down. Then you have a number of options available to you...

Alternativley it is possible to use the web to track her down. In order to get credit she will need to be registered somewhere + be on the electoral role etc and that can be searched at www.192.com

28. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again for your help guys,

a few things happened today. my mum had a call from her saying that she has just found out that even more money has gone out of her account and she is demanding another grand or she'll go to the police for fraud.

i rang her and found out that paypal have taken a total of 1012 out of her acconut in 6 months, alot of this was for dual purchases but it also included 400 pound chargeback from a fraudulent transaction from a russian ebayer who bought a projector of us. she is know saying that i used her account without her permission and its therefore fraud, demanding even more money. im baffled as to what to do. i didnt know that the money would be taken out as i had disputed the transaction as i sent it to a addresse supplied by ebay in russia. anyway, i dont know if she is right but as i didnt know that all this money was taken out, is it fraud on my behalf?

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    If you have nothing to hide then let her call the police. I would seek advice about the whole situation from a solicitor. She also has your set which is your property, which she has removed without your permision.

:)

30. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Indeed, I concur with Razor on this. From the sound of things she knows what she is doing big time and may have done it before...

These so called charges, are they traceable to you in anyway? - they are all on her card yes? and you have no physical items to show for it?...if this is the case and there is no comeback to you she has no leg to stand on i would have thought.

The £400 charge back has nothing to do with you...its her card.
    The purchases have nothing to do with you...its her card. I'm afraid that you may have to be ruthless and to a point rather nasty in return otherwise she is going to rinse you for all you have and then some. Play her at her She may have some right to items if she can prove through proof of purchase that they belong to her but you can always claim they were bought by her and given to you as gifts...she would then have to prove otherwise which simply isnt possible. Its purely your word against hers or visa versa depending on the situation.

Have you spoken to the police yet? I would simply log a theft with them and get them. Be aggressive and go down the prossecution route if you can and try and get all you can from her or at least scare into not trying to get anymore out of you.

I knew someone once, a few years back...similar thing happened to him...he tracked her down, totaled her car and caused all manner of damage to her property and belongings...whilst I am not suggesting that this is a route you should take I believe that people should get what they give.