How I Improved My Acoustics

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by I.D.C, Feb 2, 2009.

1. I.D.C

I.D.C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would share how I got my wee cinema room to perform better.

The room is 13ft long 9 feet wide with a three seater suet against the back wall.
    There is a 50” Tv along with B & W M-20 speakers. Two front speaker’s ether side of the TV with the main front speaker under the TV. The sub in the corner two rear speakers are just above ether side of the three peace suet.

There are two large patio doors with venetion blinds. On the floor is Amtico which is laminate. Result extreme echoing.

So when I purchased my new Marantz SR6003 I was determined to improve the acoustics.

Off came the venation blinds replaced with lined curtains
    Down went a large rug.
    On the walls went Sound Sorba panels with prints of nice flowers. One large one on the back wall and one large one on the side wall. The wife loves these panels with prints on them.

Anyway what a difference it’s incredible the echo has gone, movies and music are a real joy and to top it off the Sound Sorba panels were not expensive.

2. I.D.C

I.D.C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it I’m on the American AV forums rather than the Brit one ? As I found an AV-forum.co.uk

Jeez you guy’s must breaking your sides with laughter given the size of my TV room. **** it’s not even an apartment at time square. :rotfl::rotfl:

3. Isco 3

Isco 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    You are in the right place. It is a UK forum.

4. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I was considering purchasing some Sound Sorba panels for the back wall. I was wondering, how much does it affect the liveliness of the surround speakers?

Does it deaden things a bit for 5.1? Are yuo using dipoles or bipoles to bounce sound of the rear wall?

Also, how good is the quality of the print on the pictures?

5. I.D.C

I.D.C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Craigd,

You throw me out with the terms bipoles and dipoles so I did a google to find out more. Unfortunately I’m still not sure what mine are as I got an installer to fit them so wires could go into the walls and then run along the skirting board in my room. So I take it they are wired what I would call normal.
    Would I notice any difference with dipoles / bipoles. Maybe you would be kind enough to explain what can be achieved.

As for the Sound Sorba panels they are well made and the prints set them off very well with well toned colours. Basically I needed to treat my room for too much echo. I can now play my system at good volume without suffering ear fatigue. Everything has been damped down but not to the extent where there is no atmosphere or thrills. I have two on the rear walls and two on the side walls with a space in-between of about 22cm.

Hope this helps

6. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks I.D.C. It sound like the Sound Sorba treatment may work for me.

A normal speaker is a monopole speaker, meaning it fires in one direction. Bipole spekers fire in two directions. If you position them correctly sound can reach you ear both directly and also by refecting off the rear wall to (theoretically) give a better rear sound field.

7. I.D.C

I.D.C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.
    My speakers will be monopole, however with the room being small they work well to fill the room with sound.

8. Amioa

Amioa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    interesting. I had heard the sound sorba panel printing wasnt very good quality, with bleed in the print colouring, can you post a photo of your panels so we can see?, Ive not seen them in person, only the 'normal' glasswool panels

9. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Yes, a close up of an area with a lot of detail an colour would be very useful and much appreciated.